Is this HEX tank a good deal?

vwbortoni

I have a question... :confused:
I'm doing all my research so that I can soon start my own SW tank. I went to the LFS today and they offered me the following deal:
42 gal HEX with stand and standard CF light with delivery for $300. Is this a good deal?
The tank has cherry trim that matches the base. The base has a few scuffs on the wood that would require a little bit of retouching.
Also, what are the advantages and disadvantage of a HEX tank?
What has your experience been like?
Thanks a lot!

For a hexagon .. it might be a good deal ... But i do think you could find better or a nice used one for cheaper.
The advantages are simply display and view of the tank ... They look nice and can be viewed well from almost anyn angle.
I would personally look here on the classifieds or in your local paper.
Your bound to find a better deal if you stay patient and look elsewhere I think.
HTH

harlequinnut

I do not have a hex tank and don't know much about the prices. The disadvantages of a hex limits the surface area of the tank, sw fish needs more horizontal room than vertical room. There is also less gas exchange at the water surface and it limits the amount of fish able to be kept in a hex versus other equal gallon tanks. The only advantages to me would be that it fits nicely in a corner and is pleasing to the eyes as a piece of furniture but not so pleasant to the sw fish. JMO

splashed

Ive got the tank your looking at (I think) Cherry wood, very heavy opening in back and a nice decorative door on the front? I love mine. It looks much nicer in a home than the traditional tanks IMHO. (It was a comprimise between me and the hubby, I wanted a huge tank, and he couldn't stand the way they look and thought they took up too much space.) HOWEVER lighting is a B*TCH! I cant stand the pendant type lighting that hangs from the ceiling, and so far, I can't find anything that will work on the top (due to the hex shape and all)
I "think" I attached a pic the 42G Hex that you are talking about, this is the pic I showed my hubby to talk him into it. My first pic attchment . . . we will see how this goes. :)

splashed

Ive read all the threads, and it seems Im doing it right, its a jpg file, under 102K, less than 500X500 px I don't get any errors, it just doesn't show up. So . . . Im gonna try it one more time

splashed

I wish, thats a pic of the tank I showed my hubby - mines the same tank minus all the cool inhabitants. :)
Ive got a maroon, royal gramma, emerald crabs, scarlets, bluelegs, dusters, snails, and lr. I don't have a digital cam, but when I get one, I will be posting pics.

jeepboy

We also have a 55 Hex in our bedroom. Ours is an arylic though and has a lipped area around the top so lighting is not a big deal. We have corallife lights on stands that sit on the top lip. We don't keep the top lid on, so there's more gas exchange. We have about 35 pounds of live rock and about 50 pounds of live sand. I have only one fish (I'm not going to name b/c of the fish police around here) two peppermint shrimp, three emeraled crabs, and 5-6 blue leg hermits. My fish this thriving in her space, she is happy and healthy. As long as you place it correctly they are nice to have in a corner. We love having it in the bedroom, the water flow is soothing.

splashed

Coralife lights on stands . . .
can you show us a pic? I would love to see it. I did a search on coralife lights, but I get a bunch of bulbs and junk. I have been trying to find lighting for mine, I am dying to upgrade.

jeepboy

Coralife actually went out of business about 4-5 months ago, so if you see them for sale somewhere it's the last of their stock. I will attach a photo.

jeepboy

Correction.....my wife posted that Coralife went out of buisness....I don't think they did. Custom Sea Life went out of buisness. My tank has a CSL light and she just confused the two.

jeepboy

We bought the tank off a guy, the coralife lights came with the tank. I've seen them sold for about $100. We just bought a new bulb for it, it was $35 from another site. I'm assuming when you by the fixture it comes with the bulbs from coralife.