Is this Hlle?please help!

kmart189

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...h/DSC00141.jpg
If it is hlle let me know how to treat it I am adding a grounding probe today. And I have also switched the diet for all of my fish by adding garlic to their food as a precaution because I had a puffer get black ich. And I am feeding a much more varied diet with rod's fish food predator blend it has krill, mussels, krill and other stuff in it. is there anything else I can do I also cut way back on feeding from about every day to every third day. If its not hlle what is it? Thanks

wattsupdoc

Looks like HLLE to me. There is something stressing the fish. Chronic stress. Find that and it will heal. Generally speaking, good water parameter, proper diet (get some liquid vitamins also), proper tank mates, and properly sized/set up tank will do the trick. If they have black ick, you need to treat it appropriately.

gmann1139

Looks like it could be.
Take a look here, down at Post 14 it goes over HLLE.
I'm no Lionfish expert, but what are you feeding, and what are your water parameters?

kmart189

Tankmates with v lion: clown aka leaf lip grouper, snowflake eel, had porc puffer not anymore though. I know that the grouper is next to him a lot, but there is no nipping or fighting once in awhile the lion will push the grouper away with his mouth and then the grouper goes away. lately the lion has been hiding in his ship cave a lot and comes out only to eat and a little bit before the lights go out I will test water later tonight, but it has always tested fine I do 25% changes every other week.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2906846
I am not all that convinced its HLLE and not his coloration with out a closer look
Yeah, the white spots on his stinging fins make me wonder too.
Kmart, are the scales missing in that area?

cranberry

Yes, even those fish that are called scaleless have some sort of scale. It however does not look like a missing scale found on those commonly categorized as a "scaled" fish.

kmart189

Attachment 217156
Here is a zoomed in picture the only place where it seems like some scales might be missing is along the side of the white line on his face, but it looks like it is hard to tell for sure. So here is what I have done so far I started adding a more varied diet. I think I was feeding to much of a base diet on silversides. Added vitamins to water today (vitamarine M) I will also be adding this to his food.Tested water params: ph 8.2 nitrate0 nitrite 0 amonia 0 salinity 1.023 temp 77.9 F. Thanks for all of the input so far I appreciate it greatly hopefully it will turn this guy around for a healthy life.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by kmart189
http:///forum/post/2907137
Attachment 217156
Here is a zoomed in picture the only place where it seems like some scales might be missing is along the side of the white line on his face, but it looks like it is hard to tell for sure. So here is what I have done so far I started adding a more varied diet. I think I was feeding to much of a base diet on silversides. Added vitamins to water today (vitamarine M) I will also be adding this to his food.Tested water params: ph 8.2 nitrate0 nitrite 0 amonia 0 salinity 1.023 temp 77.9 F. Thanks for all of the input so far I appreciate it greatly hopefully it will turn this guy around for a healthy life.
Ok, so those white spots are marking.
If you're attacking nutrition and stray voltage, I would wait a couple weeks before trying anything else. Treating HLLE, if that's what it is, can take time to show results.

kmart189

Thanks again to everyone that helped out I will be keeping a close eye on him and making sure he gets A+ treatment.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It does look like HLLE. Did this develop gradually? Don't add vits to water, just to food. Use zeocon.

kmart189

got the salinity to 1.025 so with evaporation it will probably be around 1.026 by the time I do a water change.
Yes this came on gradually and at first I made the mistake of not thinking anything of it. Then I had the time to do some research and figured out that it was probably hlle. probably began about a month ago

wattsupdoc

I hope you didnt do this in very rapidly!
You should have done this very slowly. Are you measuring with a refractometer? Also, do top offs more frequently to avoid SG shifts. Realize that many things shift as the SG does. Stability is very important. Have you looked at doing an auto top off?

kmart189

Yes I measured with a refractometer and I brought the salinity up fairly slowly over about an hr. How tough would an auto top off be to hook up?