Is this how a powerhead is suppose to work?

skrimpz

I got my first powerhead today i was jts wondering if it is suppose to make the water so bubbly. i know that kind of a dumb question becuase it is putting air in the water it just sees like alot of bubbles and do i have it in a good location, i had been having probelms with my ph i think of becuase of lack of airation. these some pic

mudplayerx

Don't use the venturi valve. Take the hose out of the air intake entirely. There is no reason to add any kind of bubbles to a marine tank. Actually, it can raise PH too much and the bubbles may irritate or kill some livestock such as certain anemones, etc..

skrimpz

Ok , i thouihgt the point of an powerhead was to airate the water though? no. Cuase it doens get much airation on my tank becuase i have a fluval and i dont have a skimmer either. Its a FOWLR

mudplayerx

Don't worry, marine tanks do not require aeration at all. The skimmer and the high flow rate of the water compared to a freshwater tank will be more than enough aeration.

T

tizzo

Oxygen is absorbed into the water via the surface. You position a powerhead near the surface for two reasons. 1, to circulate the oxygenated water through out the tank and 2 to create surface agitation, resulting in more surface area. The more surface area, the more oxygen to be absorbed.
A powerhead should not spit out those bubbles (as stated).

T

tizzo

High enough that you get the most ripples but not so high that water splashes out of the tank causing salt creep and possibly a fountain.
But you should definately have more than 1 powerhead.