Is this ICH?!?

jmarie

We woke up a couple of days ago to this on our clown. He, as well as our other fish, are acting completely normal. Could this be ICH or is it something he just got into?
Thanks!

btldreef

My first guess would be ich. Did you quarantine them? Have you added any other fish/corals/inverts to the tank lately that were not quarantined?
Second guess would be the start of brooklynella. See the second post here: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/127010/diseased-fish-pictures

jmarie

The last thing added was a royal gramma, and that was a couple of months ago. Everyone was doing fine until about a week ago- the gramma's tail has been nibbled by our six line, and now he is really struggling. I just thought he was getting picked on. Then two days the clown came up looking like this. Think they could be related?

Thanks so much for your help!!

btldreef

There may have been ich in the tank all along and now that there is aggression/stress, it's popping up. Healthy fish can usually fight off ich, especially the visible signs of ich. Stressed/beat up fish can't and that's when people first start to see it usually. Can you set up a quarantine tank for your fish.
Just a word of caution, gramma's and six line wrasses will usually fight to the death. It sounds like you have an aggressive six line (as most of them are) and you might want to consider getting rid of him.

jmarie

I have an empty 10 gallon tank- would this be big enough for 3 fish ( I don't think the gramma is going to make it) while in quarantine? Does the QT need sand and LR, just like a mini tank? Is there a specific medicine for ICH? Does it hurt the corals in the tank?
The six line had never been aggressive until the gramma was introduced?? We were thinking since it was the 4th fish in our 29 gallon biocube, it was just too many fish.
Sorry for all the questions- your help is VERY much appreciated! Any and all advice is welcome- we are still learning as we go, and have never had to deal with this.
Thank you!!!

nvmycj

I agree with BTLDreef...
per the pix in the other thread, it is VERY similar to brooklynella.
It that contagious to our other fishies?
Thanks!

S

siptang

It can be bare bottom or without any live rock but I recommend little piece of pipe or something for it to hide.
I think sooner the better.
Hope your fish makes it.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarie http:///forum/thread/386772/is-this-ich#post_3399091
I have an empty 10 gallon tank- would this be big enough for 3 fish ( I don't think the gramma is going to make it) while in quarantine? Does the QT need sand and LR, just like a mini tank? Is there a specific medicine for ICH? Does it hurt the corals in the tank?
The six line had never been aggressive until the gramma was introduced?? We were thinking since it was the 4th fish in our 29 gallon biocube, it was just too many fish.
Sorry for all the questions- your help is VERY much appreciated! Any and all advice is welcome- we are still learning as we go, and have never had to deal with this.
Thank you!!!
Your three fish should be okay. It should be a bare bottom with NO live rock or sand. You need to run hypo salinity on them. There are some articles about hypo in the disease fish section. My phone is not letting me copy and paste it for you right now.
Six lines and gramma's are known to not get along, but he may remain aggressive even after the gramma is removed.

jmarie

Since we aren't sure if it's ICH or brooklynella, will it hurt them if treated for ICH? or vise-versa?
Only the clown has the spots for now? It looks almost like he swam through a cobwebb... we'll try to get a better picture.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think it may be brook, in which case treating it for ich is pointless. QT the clown for now and start the formalin bath. Check out the procedure here
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/wiki/formalin-bath
This needs to be done TODAY. Hopefully, you can get formalin. The clown is the only fish that needs treatment for this at this point.
Please post some more pictures so we can positively ID brook. Even so, proceed with the formalin treatment, as soon as you can get your hands on formalin. If it is ich, then the formalin will help with that and we can proceed with treatment of ich. However, if it is brook, then time is of the essence so treat for that now not delaying to figure out what the problem is.

jmarie

We put the clown in my extra little 10 gallon tank and started the formalin bath that day. I don't think he looks any better- maybe worse. Now the blenny isn't eating or acting right, so we put him in the QT tank too. He doesn't have any spots or anything like the clown?? As of today, the clown, gramma and blenny are in the QT tank. If they don't improve with the Formalin, what point should we start treating for ICH?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Did you put the formalin directly in the QT, or did you do the "baths" as instructed?
Post a new picture of the clown, please.