Is this lighting ok for a std 55 gal?

vwbortoni

I have a standard 55 gal tank and currently only have Flourecent lights. I would like to upgrade them so that I can have corals in the future.
Is this a good set up? It's not too expensive and I could maybe convince the wife :)
Anyway here are the specs from the place that sells it:
Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Series 48"
The Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Series 48" is a sleek and streamlined fixture designed to enhance and complement any saltwater, reef or freshwater aquarium. The Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Series 48" has a compact and low-profile syle and is suitable for applications where space is limited. The Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Series 48" is equipped with a modern aluminum housing and a highly-polished aluminum reflector for optimal lighting, it also features a protective acrylic lens cover which allows easy acces to the lamps. Two Coralife 50/50 compact fluorescent lamps are included, these lamps combine Actinic blue 03 (50%) and 10,000K (50%) phosphors to enhance both color and clarity in your aquarium. These full-spectrum lamps provide the tank's inhabitants with the proper light required for essential biochemical reactions. The Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Series 48" also features a built-in electronic ballast.
48" Double Lamp Fixture
Two 65 Watt 50/50 Lamps
Sleek Aluminum Housing
Highly-polished Reflector
Acrylic Lens Cover
On/Off Switch
130 Watt

pic:

sailfin

That would not be enough lighting over a 55g tank for corals. 130W/55g = 2.36 W/gal. Coralife makes a new one that has moon lights and a lot more wattage. Check into that one instead. If you're going to try all corals you will have to get metal halides. I hope I helped some.
:D

johnny5

You may want a little more than that. A 2x96w fixture would be the minimum for keeping soft corals.
The CSL and Current USA/Orbit lights are pretty good. Im not a fan of the aqualights.
Note: Make sure you get true 03 actinic bulbs no matter the fixture. The blue blubs that are shipped with the fixtures are fake blue blubs and are inferior.

vwbortoni

Cool... are the fans in these units enough to keep them cool? I don't want to have to get a chiller after getting the 4x65W lights. Anyone have experience with these.
Also, you guys think that Current USA/Orbit lights are better than the aqualights? The two models I'm comparing both have 4X65W is there a difference?
Thanks!
Lighting is tricky for newbies.

wocka

If you're going to try all corals you will have to get metal halides.
thats not true. not every reef tank and person has 500-1000 to get metal halides. i think there a ripoff

flatzboy

I have been growing sps, lps, soft coral, all anenomes, and even clams in my 20g high. I have 2x55 watt light and I have not lost a coraL YET.

diddley

unless orbit has changed their bulbs, custom sealife used the fake blue bulbs. aqualights are 03's and look white until you turn them on. why buy a fixture when you are going to immediately change the bulbs? waste o' cash.

sailfin

Originally posted by wocka
thats not true. not every reef tank and person has 500-1000 to get metal halides. i think there a ripoff

It does depend on the size of the tank. Sorry for not mentioning that. BTW, they are not a ripoff. If you had them and then compared them to the PC lights you would see a great difference in the color and size of your corals. This is independant of tank size. Not knocking your opinion by any means, but halides do help and not hurt.
:D