is this normal for an anemone

is it normal for an anemone to change so much in color. as you can see from the pics it went from a light pinkish tan when i first bought it to a almost brownish purple. let me know if something wrong.

192 watts pc, i realize most would say i need MH and some not. you think light would cause it to get darker. wouldnt it get lighter and look bleached if the light wasnt sufficient?

frankthetank

what kind of anenome is that? I used to carry anenomes in my other reef tanks under pc lights. They did just fine. Anenomes need good water quality, and at least decent lighting. I don't have any right now in my tank, but I will be getting some.

i bought it as a haitian condi anemone, i dont know if that is what it really is. i think it is doing really good. it has grown and is always puffed up.

joojoo

That's a very good thing. When they change to a darker color, they have gained back most, if not all, of their zooxanthellae symbiotic algae. That is their natural color, no photosynthetic anemone should look white/clear.

tomtoothdoc

congratulations....it 's a sign of a happy anemone. some people don't like the darker color but it's suppose to be like that. now you won't have to feed it as much that it gained back the zooxanthellae.....it'll be getting "food" from the light source now :cheer:

F-ing sweet. i love to here stuff like that. he is one of my most prized posessions. when i first got him and he grew and was happy, i became deaply attached. i think that the anemone has to be one of the cool animal ever.