Is this Normal??

jzuse

I just called the LFS all the guy could tell me is that it is a 150W metal halite with 2 x 24W Actinic PC bulbs. He really wasnt the best guy to ask but the main dude was off. They also said that it comes with a MH that is a bit more yellowish and that if i wanted more of the blue shimmer I would have to buy a different bulb for $100. And to top it off this guy gave me a qote of $499.99

jzuse

:notsure: I found this other lighting they are both the same price and I would really appreciate your opinion
1 x 150 HOI and 2 x 75W VHO
1 x 150 HQI and 2 X 55W PC
Is this even going to be enough light a 37 gallon tank that is 24 inches deep? Also what is the deal with the moon lighting?

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by Jzuse
1 x 150 HOI and 2 x 75W VHO
1 x 150 HQI and 2 X 55W PC
Of these two choices I would go with the 1x150 HQI and 150watt VHO, that should give a 37 gallon a good kick of light. I'd use a 10000k XM 150 and two URI VHO bulbs, one actinic and one super actinic.
How much they asking for these two systems.?

jzuse

They are asking $299.99 for each. What is the difference between the 10000K and the 20000K bulbs. What is the difference between the actinic and the super actinic, and also whats your oppinion on moonlights? Thanks

sawsman

If you can afford that lighting go for it! you'll be glad you did. 10K will be whiter (brighter to the eye), 20K will look bluer. I prefer the 10K myself.
-sawsman

jzuse

Will a 150W MH bulb be ehough to penitrate down 24 inches of tank? because I have been told that 250W MH would be the best for the depth? please help before I decide to order anything. Thanks :thinking:

T

thomas712

I'd say the 150 would be good, not great, but good. There are those who have been satisfied with them and those who have not. Depends on what your keeping for corals. If you were going sps then I'd say no.
Try to research the bulb and see if you can find a PAR rating, thats the number we are looking for.
Thomas

unleashed

I use the 10,000k hqi myself the coloring is the only thing that chatnges btween the 10,000 14,000 20,000 the higher the number the bluer the bulb.as for the moon lights its not just for looks accually any one that has them has seen the difference it makes in fish behavior.fish are more calm when the light are turned on and off .they dont hide for cover as soon as the daylight lambs are shut down.when the morning lights come on also the fish do not not seem to be startled by the change.anyone that has a color changing fish will spot this instantly.from what I was explained as the intensity of HQI bulbs a 150w HQI gives out the same light intensity as 250w mogal mh.making it more energy efficiant.btw coralife has now come out with 250w HQI with pc fixtures with lunars.I have the corailfe pro series hood ad I love it

jzuse

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Try to research the bulb and see if you can find a PAR rating, thats the number we are looking for.
Thomas
I emailed the site and they told me that it had the same PAR rating as USHIO brand bulbs,
This is what I got from their site
Aqualite MH
150W-10,000K-35 PAR-90 CRI
150W-14,000K-35 PAR-70 CRI
150W-20,000K-16 PAR-N/A CRI
and the one lite "1 x 150 HQI and 2 X 55W PC" was an error on their part it really has 65W PC