is this ok?

brokendeck

is it ok for me to have my 75 gallon tank in between 2 windows where sunlight can get to it? will sunlight hurt my saltwater tank? do i need to move it away from these windows?

E

eric b 125

welcome to the boards! thats a nice stand and canopy. the answer to your question is that sunlight will start algae blooms in a big way. it could also swing the temp b/w day and night. you might be able to get away with it if you paint the sides of your tank black, but i could be wrong.

yea painting the sides will decrease the algae issue dont do that! it will ruin the tank u want a full view of all your stuff not just a front view.temp swings will happen... i just wouldnt keep it by 2 windows im sure alot of people will agree.. you dont have no other spots??

florida joe

Do the windows face the sun? There is nothing wrong with sunlight. There are tank setups that I have read about where the tank is in a room with a glass roof. In any event you are not getting direct sunlight on your tank. IMO you are fine

brokendeck

There are 4 windows in the room the tank is in. The tank sits between 2 windows where the sun shines through in the mornings. Once 12'oclock hits, there is no direct sunlight coming through the windows. There is not a window across from the tank that sunlight would be hitting the tank directly. Joe, would you consider that direct sunlight from sunrise til 12?

gregghia

I had mine in the direct sun for the winter. It was really nice when the sunrays hit the tank. Amazing that no matter how good your MH lighting once the sun hits the tank it makes the halide look dull. The corals liked it. Algae is a concern but for me my tank that was normally 80 degress went to almost 90 last week on the first hot day in NC.

flower

I used to have a 55g tank by the window. I used a thin wood panal to block the tank for the hour when direct light would hit it. I just leaned it up against the tank.
Once the direct light had moved I removed the panal and put it behind the couch. If I was not going to be home, I just left the panal there. Nobody would be there to see it anyway. Worked for me and it might work for you.
Just an idea.

Direct sunlight can cause some problems but yours looks to be more indirect sunlight which shouldn't cause issues. It might effect your temp a little. It will look pretty sweet sitting there.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Brokendeck
http:///forum/post/2987192
There are 4 windows in the room the tank is in. The tank sits between 2 windows where the sun shines through in the mornings. Once 12'oclock hits, there is no direct sunlight coming through the windows. There is not a window across from the tank that sunlight would be hitting the tank directly. Joe, would you consider that direct sunlight from sunrise til 12?
I think you are fine with the position of your tank