Is this right to you guys

bionicarm

Here's one for you. How did the cop know he was turning around in the driveway? His story says he saw the lights come 'over the top of a hill' a half mile behind him AFTER he turned around. That sounds to me like the cop wasn't in view of his vehicle as he made the turn in the driveway. It appears this cop sees some vehicle driving around a dark country road at 1AM, and decides to pull it over just to see who was in it. There may have been reported break-ins to homes and cars in the area recently, and he wasn't going to take a chance at letting someone do that 'on his watch'. By the tone of your statement about the cop, it doesn't sound like he was being arrogant or demanding. I think if you would've had your license with you, he would've simply told you to be safe and let you go on your merry way.
So exactly what were you doing out on this country road at 1AM? And why didn't you have your wallet or driver's license with you in the first place?

meowzer

HMMMM....I was under the impression he HAD no D/L cause it was suspeneded or something to that effect
HECK..if he just wasn't carrying one, all he would have to do is show it to the police station within 24-48 hours, and the ticket is dropped....isn't it?????

rslinger

I was out picking up a drunk friend who could not make it home by himself. And my license is or i should say was expired. I knew it was but was just trying to put off renewing it for a couple days until i get my monthly bonus from work. The ticket though is not the point at all. Your right i am not sure how the cop saw me turn around unless he was sitting on top of the hill. and yes he said he saw me turn around. I guess some people don't feel that being stopped by the police when they have no good reason to stop is as much of an infringement on there right as i do. It just seems to me as a real "police state" type thing. And after he had me pulled over did he ask if he could look in my car for drugs, yes. I told him sure go ahead, but then he decided not to.

bionicarm

So have you been to this area of town before? Was this buddy getting plastered at someone's house, or in some club out in this 'middle of nowhere'? Like I said, the only valid reason I could see why he pulled you over because your actions looked suspicious to him. Try researching the news in that area to see if there's been recent break-in's to homes and cars. Could explain why he pulled you over. How rural an area is this? Was this a city copy, state cop, or county sheriff? I've been pulled over by some pretty arrogant cops in my days. If you even sneezed wrong, they'd throw you in jail. Lesson here is never drive your car unless you have a valid license, insurance, and registration. If you follow the traffic laws, and have nothing to hide, there's nothing a cop can do to you legally. But the police do have the right to pull you over, regardless of the situation. Ever pulled up to a police checkpoint on a road? My local police do these random checkpoints all the time, looking for drunks or people without insurance or licenses (sound familiar?).

ibanez

Well then I would say that was mighty nice of him not to infringe on your rights by searching your car for drugs since you gave him the right to.

aquaknight

Its all about where you, yourself in our opinion, draw the line. Personally the "nothing to hide" bit doesn't work, as you can apply to police entering your home, or monitoring your calls, and if you have 'nothing to hide' what's it matter? As I've pointed out, cops do in fact have to have a reason to pull you over. Anyone ever get a seatbelt ticket? In most States, not buckling up is a secondary offensive. Meaning just because you don't have your belt on, and the cop notices, he needs an actual infraction to pull you over. This is a fail-safe because it's intent is to help with discrimination/dirty cops/the whole lot.
However in the instance with being pulled over, cops have a wide range of reasons to pull you over. Justified
"probable suspicious' is one of them.
And oh yea, about that search thing, don't do that again.

bionicarm

Not here in Texas. The latest 'scam' the cops have been pulling here in San Antonio is they sit on the medians that are underneath the highway overpasses. All our highways have turnaround lanes that allow you to 'turnaround' and go the opposite direction without sitting through the light. They stand next to their cars and look inside the cars as they pass by looking for anyone who doesn't have a seat belt on (Texas just passed a law whereby ALL passengers are required to have seat belts on, even passengers in the back). If they find someone, they wave at one of their fellow officers whose sitting on the frontage road where the car is turning, and that cop pulls them over and issues a ticket. They also bust people with expired tags or inspection stickers.

el guapo

The Officer had every right to stop you as you seamed to be out of place in the area in the middle of the night. Many years ago I got pulled over multiple times for "no reason" lol. Looking back I understand now that it was just the police doing their job. After all a car cruising through a residential neighborhood slow to avoid disturbing the locals with loud exhaust ( A large camed small block Chevelle with a stall converter and flowmaster exhaust) can look the same as somebody casing a neighborhood for potential victims. Except your ticket , pay the fine and get your license reinstated. After all if you had the proper ID the officer would have ran you through the system and let you go on your way. He was doing his Job and you were unlucky and got caught.