Is This Southdown?

logan15

It dosent say southdown but it is from the carribean and it is from Easton,PA "same as the southdown inc" Its made by old Castle TOO

goldenboy

That's what I use. Rinse it anyway though. It'll save you a lot of time and drama. It gets real foamy and will make a cloudy mess if you don't.

nicky1.8t

rinse it with water, again and again. It is really fine, and therer is alot of dust mixed in with it,my brother used that in his reef and did not rinse enough. It was a dust storm in his tank for a few days. It looks great though. Good luck

goldenboy

I bought some more the other day and rinsed it in a 5 gallon bucket about 6-8 times. Assuming you're starting a new tank, pour the water onto a plate or something to deflect the water. This will cause less cloudiness.

cincyreefer

Yes, I would rinse it real well. If it is going in a new tank then it will take a few days for the cloud to settle. If it is going in a tank already established then you will want to cure it before you add it.

set up two tanks with this sand and have never rinsed it . . . I don't see a need to.

logan15

:thinking: i remember someone saying that what we rinse off is what the bacteria likes to grow on

I don't know about it being what the bacteria likes to grow on, but the smaller the particles, the more the surface area, the more surface area the more bacteria and hence better denitrification.
Its a new tank . . . who cares if its cloudy for a couple days . . . theres nothing to look at in it anyway.

logan15

also im going to put 60lbs of Arar Alive Indo Black Live Sand should i put it under the southdown or ontop i was thinking about on top so it can mix down? Also why do people put egg grate in their sand sometimes?

skirrby

when i filled my tank.. with the dry sand in it. i layed a trashbag across the sand..then set a good size bowl on that, poured the water into the bowl. it filled the bowl then slowly overflowed onto the trashbag. i filled the tank half way and removed everything.. and the water was hardley cloudy one bit.

Originally posted by skirrby
when i filled my tank.. with the dry sand in it. i layed a trashbag across the sand..then set a good size bowl on that, poured the water into the bowl. it filled the bowl then slowly overflowed onto the trashbag. i filled the tank half way and removed everything.. and the water was hardley cloudy one bit.

a potential problem is pockets of dry sand.
Another idea is to put about 3-4 inches of water in the tank and then add the sand. This way there is far less water to cloud and it will clear much faster.