Is this the right Southdown

I bought a 50 lb bag of southdown playsand from HD. The bag reads Tropicland Playsand steralized southdown sand from the Caribbean. Is this the stuff I need. Thanks.

javajoe

I woudl not advise that you rinse it-- i know that different people have different opinions on this, but i did not rinse it, and yes, tank was cloudy for ac ouple days, but when seeded with about 10% live sand, the bacteria covers the smaller particles and keeps it from clouding that water. The small particles is what makes this sand so good.

Thanks for the confirmation. It was in the lawn and garden section stored outside. It looks like some people can't find it to easily. I got it at the Norwood, Home Depot. They have a pallet full of the stuff. Thanks.

jimi

Yes that is where it is kept at HD. I would advise one light rinse. You still get plenty of fine stuff. I filled a 5 gal bucket with r/o water, dump in some sand to raise the water almost to the top swish the sand around with my hand and dump off the water. It is a light rinse that leaves you plenty of fine stuff.

Well I didn't rinse the Southdown. I emptied some into my new sump area. This sump is in the trial phase and I'm filtering it over night along with the salt mixing. Should I add some to the main tank over time. Thanks for your help.