is this wat i should do

i have a large amount of cyanobacteria growing on the floor of my tank .... i was told get new lights and so on , but i remembered that i have been forgetting weekly water changes do i need to do more waterchanges or is there something different?

bang guy

IMO Cyano is a symptom of excess nutrients (Nitrate & Phosphate) in the water.
Remove the nutrients & Cyano will go away.

b0gart

It is my understanding that water changes or a DSB will remove nitrates, but what removes phosphates? I hope this isn't highjacking, I thought it was on the subject. If this is indeed highjacking, please let me know and I will delete this reply and flog myself an appropriate amount when time permits.

bot587

i dont consider it a high jack. There are many ways to remove phosphates, the best is a water change with RO/DI water.

belothsurf

I don't consider it a hi jack, either. There are many ways to hi jack a thread, and your comment was not one of them. You just took the thread on a tangent. And it was a related tangent, so that is cool. One thing leads to another. And sometimes threads evolve into other subjects, but as long as the original question was answered, then who cares what direction the thread takes, right. But, bOgart, your courtesy is certainly appreciated. Thank you.
BTW, did you see the score of the Bama game tonight? The Tide spanked Utah State 48 to 17. Roll Tide Roll!..................