Is Weld-on #16 good enough????????

primo

Hey Everyone-
First time posting but long time reader....here is my question I have a overflow box (acrylic) that I'm trying to glue to my tank (acrylic) I have some weld-on #16, is this good enough to make it watertight or should I buy some weld-on #4?

xcali1985

Your just trying to glue the box to the wall of the tank, correct?
If so just apply some superglue and press it.

jackri

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3220483
Your just trying to glue the box to the wall of the tank, correct?
If so just apply some superglue and press it.
Please don't use superglue. The weld-on actually chemically bonds it together.

shwstpr88

When I did my sump I used weld on to bond and used aquarium silicone to seal it. Maybe its over kill but I dont need to worry about it either I think its worth the extra 10 bucks.

jackri

Silicone does not actually bond to acrylic -- don't ever count on it being leak proof when dealing with acrylic as it's for glass only. Weld on is just fine -- I've built 2 sumps (36g each) and a 77 g frag tank (36 x 48 x 12) and haven't seen a leak ever.
The thing with weld on is the chemical bonding process it does. It doesn't "glue" the components together but acts like an extension of the acrylic itself if that makes sense.

king_neptune

I wasnt sure from the OP if this was meant to go outside or inside.If its outside...weld-on will do great.
Inside...i dont know, never heard of weld on being used inside and wet.
What threw me off was you wanted to know if it would be watertight. Whywould it matter if its outside the tank? its not holding water is it?
I could see if you had a three sided overflow and wanted to use the tanks back wall as the 4th. I guess I'm just totally confused from all sides. Sorry.

primo

sorry for confusing people.... it is a three sided overflow and planing on using display tank back wall as the fourth. My question is which Weld-on I should use for gluing the overflow to the tank.