Isopod Question???

L

lockemup

Well, I finally saw the shrimp. He doesn't stay out very long when I turn the flashlight on, but I'm beginning to think he is a pistol shrimp. All the Mantis shrimp I ever saw have their claws tucked in and this little thing (about 1/2 -3/4 inch in size) seems to have claws out in front of him. I think there is a second one hanging out in a hole in one of my rocks as he appears to be about the same size and shape. I'm hoping they will molt soon so I can see the shape of their shell. Both appear to be pink. I just did a 5 gallon water change tonight and my amonia is finally at 0. PH 8.4, with salinity at 1.023. I don't have test kits for Nites yet, but this weekend I will get a full check on the water and hopefully a small clean up crew will be in order. Along with a lawnmower blenny, Scooter Blenny and a watchman goby.
I'm thinking along these lines to start;
4 Emerald Crabs
10 Blueleg Hermits
10 Scarlet Hermits
3 Pepermint shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
10 Turbo/Astrea Snails
10 Nassarius Snails

grndhog

lockemup,
I had to just wait and watch, when I spot one its always in a rock. So I just pull the rock real quick, take it and do a freshwater dip for about 15-30 sec. Most of them will escape the rock fast. There have been some that try to hang on so you have to take a flashlight and use tweezers to pull them out.
Good Luck

nicky1.8t

my lfs got in 100lbs of fl rock once i watched them do that dip and saw about 6 mantis shrimp come flying out. nasty stuff that florida rock. ill stick with my fiji

razoreqx

Originally posted by lockemup
go to the light isopod. go to the light...
:cheer:

ROTFL! I just loved that

L

lockemup

Well, I did a hypersaline dip and did not flush out the clicker. In fact, 2 very large porcelain crabs and a couple brittle stars stayed in the rocks too. So did several larger urchins. I did manage to get rid of a few smaller isopods that probably would have made nice snacks for a scooter blennie... I also located a small fish that looks like a baby goby of some sort. When I put him back in my 90 gallon, he went to the corner I have a pile of CC in and burrowed beneath it. He is about 3/4 inch in length and there is a faint touch of yellow in him. I had the saline up to a little over 1.04 and kept the rocks in for 60-90 seconds. Oh well. I will see if I can "bait" the clicking beast out.
I also picked up 2 emerald crabs and 1 peppermint shrimp today. They are busier than heck eating the hair alge on the sand. I will post some pics later.