ISP Hosing: SCSInet's Rant

scsinet

Yeah so listen to this story...
I have a DSL connection with a small mom-and-pop local ISP in Atlanta. I pay a bit more with them than I would with a big outfit like AT&T, but they do not care what I use my connection for, as I like to host servers and my web site with my connection, something most ISPs frown upon. They even gave me a block of 5 static IPs.
Well so the company got bought by a big outfit based out of California about a month ago.
So last Sunday, my internet connection stops working. Not being the reactionary type, I sit tight and don't call until Monday. I get a message...
"Speedfactory is no longer servicing DSL customers in the Atlanta area (read: you are sc-rewed). To switch to DSL with another provider, please call them. Goodbye."
Nice. The thing that really ticks me off is that they didn't close their doors or go out of business, they just cut off their DSL customers and told them to take a hike.
What I find out through the grapevine is that their new parent company decided that Atlanta DSL was not "the type of business they wanted to focus on."
So I call Comcast for cable internet, which they are more than happy to set me up with, but the earliest they can install it for me is SEPT FREAKING 14TH!
Six weeks without Internet... great.
So I may not be on here much AGAIN, I can only get on when I'm at work or when I am lucky enough to hock one of my company's CDMA wireless cards (which I'm using now). Of course I'm so busy at work these days that I can't get on much there either.
So somebody please do me a favor and top my ISP hosing story so I can feel a bit better about this crap!

reefkprz

I shot my self in the hand with nailgun....... (didnt understand most of the computer terms you used) but just wanted you to feel better.

al mc

SCSI...Does your work place use comcast? If so, you can call their 'business'
services and leverage them to get it set up faster at your home by saying you need it for work. I have had two friends do this with good results.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/2708889
SCSI...Does your work place use comcast? If so, you can call their 'business'
services and leverage them to get it set up faster at your home by saying you need it for work. I have had two friends do this with good results.
LOL... well see the thing is...
We use the same ISP at work. We have a Metro Ethernet link with them... since they only crapped on their DSL customers, we still have service at the office.
Of course, I'm in charge of the ISP at the office, so I'll be exacting my revenge on my ISP just as soon as I can get a contract signed with Time Warner. Too bad for them... what they did to me is going to cost them $2155 a month (counting the $55 for my home DSL that they decided was an "acceptable loss").

al mc

To the old ISP provider: What goes around comes around!

My other suspicion was that your wife called them and had them tell you they were shutting you down. Today the internet connection, tommorrow the 180 tank!

Obviously, only kidding..good to see you back at SWF.com

reef noob

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2708826
I shot my self in the hand with nailgun....... (didnt understand most of the computer terms you used) but just wanted you to feel better.
jeez reefkeeperz
are you on some kinda suicide mission