it seems like my fish just like to swim into the flow of my overflow and pump...

chris009

Is this normal? my fish tend to stay in one part of the tank swimming into the current... I hope they start swimming in other places. Should I move the direction of my pumps to prevent this from happening?

dinogeorge

Hi Chris009,
That depends on what kind of fish are doing it, and if they are ALL doing it.
Sometimes fish, like wrasses, do it for fun I think. Sort of like Dolphins riding the bow wave of ships. But if they are all doing it, it could be sign of something wrong. When parasites get on the gills of fish, they can sometimes sit in a return or even in bubbles to relieve the discomfort. It could also mean that your water temps are too hot. The water dropping into your sump is somewhat cooled and super oxygenated. Your fish might be gasping for air, so to speak.
Don't want to scare you, but just check your water parameters to make sure.

sambasam

Originally Posted by chris009
Is this normal? my fish tend to stay in one part of the tank swimming into the current... I hope they start swimming in other places. Should I move the direction of my pumps to prevent this from happening?
check your perameters and if they are eating well. check for desease.
ps maybe your overfeeding, because it sounds like they are trieng to lose some weight

chris009

I've also noticed that my blue hippo tang keeps scratching itself against a rock. I've looked at that side of the fish, and there are no iche(sp?) spots. I also have a clown fish that is swimming into the same return pump. Both do it all day long. My levels are all 0 except nitrate, which is only slightly elevated. pH is 1.025

buckster71

If your PH is at 1.025 I would expect your fish to be grilling from the inside out.
However, salinity shouldn't make a difference

I agree that if your fish are eating and swimming that is a good sign. However, higher salinity also means higher chances for parasites.
I stocked mine with cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse. Seems to do the trick to keep them ich free.
Later I'm going to add a UV sterilizer to the mix which should also help.
A blue hippo scratching might be the first signs of ich as I heard it affects fish like a bug bite. Itchy and a deep desire to scratch it. Mine did that in the july ich break out. Hippos are ich magnets
Your clown might also have staked his claim

buckster71

If your PH is at 1.025 I would expect your fish to be grilling from the inside out.
However, salinity shouldn't make a difference

I agree that if your fish are eating and swimming that is a good sign. However, higher salinity also means higher chances for parasites.
I stocked mine with cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse. Seems to do the trick to keep them ich free.
Later I'm going to add a UV sterilizer to the mix which should also help.
A blue hippo scratching might be the first signs of ich as I heard it affects fish like a bug bite. Itchy and a deep desire to scratch it. Mine did that in the july ich break out. Hippos are ich magnets
Your clown might also have staked his claim
Also, fish love to swim in the currents. I added two powerheads and the fish love it!

1journeyman

What type of fish?
Some fish swim facing the current to feed on pods, plankton, etc.
Tell us more about your tank. The size, livestock, etc.