it was dumped on me. please help

mastertech

Originally Posted by calbert0
http:///forum/post/3148169
Go ahead and siphon the junk off the top of the sand. I wouldnt go and stir up the whole sand bed though.
thanks again. well the tank has been up a little over a week and 1/2 and i have done every thing wrong one would imagine from at first feeding too much too soon after the move, to moving the rocks around too soon, and then reading that rock should not be packed tightly together and having to restack the rock to allow for hiding spots and breathing room. then i didnt stack it well enough and one of the larger rocks fell over onto some zoo's. (no real damage thank God) now i was told to clean the sand. so i siphoned some of it and may have lost some of the good stuff. and today........................................................................................................................ every thing is still alive and looks to be thriving. i think the only thing i have done right is water changes 5-10 gallons of ro/di just about every other day for the whole time i have had it. i have changed out at least 50 gallons since i have had it. look at the back wall. all the algae is just about gone and i hadnt even touched it with anything but new water.
rt side at 3 days

rt side at 11 days

left side at 3 days

left side at 11 days

mastertech

bump. bump.....no comments...... i feel like im dont ok.... all things considered, i went from not having a single idea on how to take care of a saltwater tank all the way to owning and being on the road to recovering a dying 125 gallon fully stocked reef tank. but anyway its all because those of you that have responded to some of my questions and having this wonderfully informative forum to research. so thanks again.
i got some hermit crabs and three differant kinds of snails. nothing is dead yet and they seem to be thriving. boy those hermit crabs work all the time and are alot of fun to watch. they have really added alot of activity to the tank. and the snails..... no so much. the really dont seem to do anything.
i was going to get a shrimp but i still have not gotten rid of the sweetlips and i think he will try to eat them. (plus i cant catch him with all that rock in there, i will need to remove all the rock the next time i do a large water change and get him out. i think i will get rid of the corral beauty also even though i think i like his color more than the keyhole) any further thoughts and comments still welcome. im still new at this and i really appreciate some support.

mastertech

caught the sweetlips without moving a single rock.
i let him get pretty hungry and dropped in some shrimp without the pump running so that the shrimp will stay high in the water. he started going crazy eatin' them up and SWOOOOP i caught him right up. the LFS isnt open until 12:00pm so he will need to stay in a container for about 5 hrs tommorrow morning. will he make it?
or should i leave him in the separated container for a day or so in the tank until i can get him to the store in a shorter amount of time?

mastertech

yes. i was wrong the LFS opened at 10:00 am not 12:00 and he made it fine. there was a little dorsal fin damage from the fight with the net but other than that he is fine.
(selling him on consignment/or he might become shop pet)

What do you want people to respond about? Did you get rid of the sweetlip so you could have shrimp or is there something wrong with it?

mastertech

I was just reviewing the whole post and it seems that 1 out of 5 of my questions get answered. i know some of the questions may seem redundant but you would understand my reasons for asking if you read the first few posts.
plus other posts are treated in the same manner. see https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/366766/deep-sand-bed

truperc

Keep in mind - I believe most people were focusing their attention on helping you keep the tank alive.
Providing id's for livestock will not much matter if it is no longer living later that week/month....etc.
FWIW I would not siphon sand, especially not in a reef tank.
I would suggest you recompile your remaining questions.
If they are questions about id's, then start a new thread under the appropriate folders.

mastertech

Originally Posted by TruPerc
http:///forum/post/3153278
Keep in mind - I believe most people were focusing their attention on helping you keep the tank alive.
Providing id's for livestock will not much matter if it is no longer living later that week/month....etc.
FWIW I would not siphon sand, especially not in a reef tank.
I would suggest you recompile your remaining questions.
If they are questions about id's, then start a new thread under the appropriate folders.
Yes your right. I guess there was too much going and too many questions posted in such a short amount of time. (refer some of the first post, it has been a really intense time for me and an overload of information) i will refocus some of my questions and concerns in more specific folders and "keep it simple" but thanks to those who have been patient with me there has been nothing but progress and things are looks much better.