Itchy Fishy??

underdogg

We are new to the saltwater hobby... and just noticed our mimic tang that we have had for 2 months and our new blue hippo tang occassionally scratching themselves against the substrate and the live rock. Sometimes swirling and flipping to do so. Is this a normal behavior, or could they have the initial signs of some parasitiic disease? We also have a vermiculated (singapore) angel that is staying hidden (starting today) more than usual. Any input would be a great help.

seannmelly

im really not sure but i think its a sign of some type of parasites. some one else will help you, good luck

underdogg

Two small dots on each tang. Is Seachem Metronidazole and Seachem Focus good to treat with? We have a good amount of inverts in the tank too. Thanks in advance everyone.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by Underdogg
Two small dots on each tang. Is Seachem Metronidazole and Seachem Focus good to treat with? We have a good amount of inverts in the tank too. Thanks in advance everyone.

well the dots might be ich and thats why they are scratching. the treatments are hit and miss, id say do hypo if they have ich. the inverts wont do anything for the ich other than a cleaner shrimp or wrasse.

underdogg

Hypo would be great but I have too many inverts in the tank. These fish are in my main tank. Dunno if it is ich just yet...but dont wanna wait to see either. Any medications that will get rid of ich and not kill my inverts.

gatrpetvet

Metronidazole does not treat ich, it is an antibiotic which means it kills bacteria. Ich is a parasite. Good luck, I am battling it in my tang right now:( a friend of mine who is a fish vet says "No Ich- Marine" might work and is OK for inverts but I have not used it yet.

underdogg

Anyone else have suggestions? It is not bad, just a like 2 or 3 small white dots. Would getting gobies and cleaner shrimp solve the problem? Or is there any other invert safe meds?
Thanks guys!!!

sepulatian

Anyone else have suggestions? It is not bad, just a like 2 or 3 small white dots. Would getting gobies and cleaner shrimp solve the problem? Or is there any other invert safe meds?
Thanks guys!!!
Well neon gobies and cleaner shrimp will pick off some parasites. A "Reef Safe" Med that I have used with good results is Stop Parasites. I think before you start treating you should find out exactly what your fish have. Do you have a picture, or could you describe it a little more? What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, ph, salinity?

underdogg

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.2
Nitrate seems to have spiked. Around 10. Just did a 30 % water changd to correct that.
Gravity is 1.024
I have noticed 4 or so white specks on our hippo tang, mimic tang, and longnose butterfly, and possibly some others or that could be paranoia.
Our tank is newly established. Has been running three months with no problem until now.
Just added the hippo and butterfly last week.
Thanks.

sepulatian

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.2
Nitrate seems to have spiked. Around 10. Just did a 30 % water changd to correct that.
Gravity is 1.024
I have noticed 4 or so white specks on our hippo tang, mimic tang, and longnose butterfly, and possibly some others or that could be paranoia.
Our tank is newly established. Has been running three months with no problem until now.
Just added the hippo and butterfly last week.
Thanks.
Ok, Hippo tangs are very prone to ich. Your very best bet is hyposalinity. do you have a qt or a place to put your inverts? I just scrolled up and realize you don't. Ok, a reef safe med that I have used myself with wonderfull results in Stop Parasites. It works for some people and doesn't for others

underdogg

Nope. That is the problem. I know its stupid, but we dont have a QT tank. We live in a small appartment and just dont have the room. Any other suggestions besides hypo that are invert friendly?? Thanks man.

sepulatian

Nope. That is the problem. I know its stupid, but we dont have a QT tank. We live in a small appartment and just dont have the room. Any other suggestions besides hypo that are invert friendly?? Thanks man.
Yeah, I edited the above post. Try the stop parasites. Just be sure to make sure your alk is ok as it has a tendency to make your ph drop if it is not

underdogg

I will definately try the STOP Parasites. I am seriously gonna try and fit like a 10 gallon QT tank somewhere. I love my fish man.

underdogg

Also, if I do add a 10 gal QT, do I need to cycle it? Or can I just add water, salt, heater, lights, and powerhead, and be good to go? Thank you so much for your help.

sepulatian

I will definately try the STOP Parasites. I am seriously gonna try and fit like a 10 gallon QT tank somewhere. I love my fish man.

Thats great! I would realy shoot for bigger than a 10 with the fish you have. But I am glad you are thinking about a qt. It will save you alot of hassle in the long run.

teviesfish

Thanks guys!!!
This didnt work for us... after 60.00 in treatment we set up qt and did copper pro. But when you do this you cant have live coral in there. We have some lr in there for filtration but nothing will grow on the lr anymore because of the copper but it is best for the fishes quick treatment. Marine ick is a waste of money and it cost me so much time. i hope that my fish didnt have to wait too long for help

teviesfish

this is what i used. Oceanic bio cube 28 gal