Its been along time

mako

hello everyone
Its been along time since I have addressed this or any bulletin board. I guess the last time I posted anything on this board was around a year and a half ago and it seemed that every time I loged on there was quite a bit of hostility or flameing going on
Butt !!!!! I have been droping in from time to time over the last mounth or so and It seems that everyone here is getting along fine.
So please let me reintroduce my self my name is Eric and I live in florida smak dab in the middle of cocoa and titusville I am a superintendent for a large industrial electrical company we mostly build water and waste water treatment plants all over the state which gives me an oppertunity to get up close to many filtration systems labs and addvice I am currently building a high service pumping station for the city of tampa. And today is my first day of a 17 day vacation yippi!
I started keeping reef systems in 2000 and have made very many mistakes and have learned alot form them I started with a 55 gal with an undergravel filter and 3" of crushed coral intending to house 1 clown trigger well the damsels that I used to cycle the tank were very cute to my wifes eyes and when she found that my plans were to keep a flesh eating monster she quickly put an end to that way of thinking buy geting a yellow tang. Then one day I was at my local lfs and he suggested that i get a pice of live rock and what a nice rock it was because I hardly ever looked at the fish again bam I was hooked for life.
after geting a 150 wetdry and and installing vho lighting sys. I started to look more closely at my substrate and with out reading I listened to a man at an lfs who told me that the way to go was a 4" dsb right on the bottom of the tank and this was fine for around six mounths or so then came the biggest crash I have ever seen uncontrollable phos. trates, hair and cyno It seemed thet the only thing I could do was trash the entire sys.
So I set out to build a custom oak stand purchased a 125 allglass tank and custom built a large oak hood I followed bob goemans live sand secrets and used a 1 1/4" plenum with 3" of crushed agronite useing 12 3" pvc couplings to keep my rock above the substrate I still have the 150 wetdry sump but it only houses a large down draft skimmer and a ph probe and a section for filter floss my lighting consists of two 660 icecap ballasts 1 for 3 attinics and 1 for 3 attinic whites timed for morning noon and dusk I have aprox 65 lbs of live rock not enough to over crowd the tank 1 yellow tang 1 powder brown tang and a wee little hippo I also have a red sea dotty back but I plan on catching him tomorow because he kills any hermits or cleaner shrimp that I try to install I have 1 frog spawn 1 hammer 1 large toad stool that has now 3 little toadstools a patch of green xinea that is growing like a weed 1 candycane 1 shorttenticale plate verious polyps and some leathers my tank is very stable at this point.And I am very happy to have the time to address this post once again.
So thats me

mako

After reading the live sand secrets I beleve that as food and fish waste worked its way into the substrate and made it to the glass bottom it sat there and phermented creating pockets of hydrogen sulphides, po4 and nitrates that probly started killing beneficial bacteria creating a situation that could not be controlled.
thanks sammy you have been here a very long time