its finally going to happen!

mr.clownfish

ive been waiting for 4 years to get a tank over 150 gals and its finally going to happen!!! but not for 2 months...

i dont care as long as i get it. i cant stop thinking about it. i was wondering how many tangs can i keep? the tank is going to be 150 - 200 gals. the biggest size tang im going to buy is maybe 4ins. for the tangs im thinking of doing like a school of 3 or 4 yellow tangs.... and maybe a couple of different tangs. theres going to be lots and lots of live rock and coral. also im going to put one of my pairs of clownfish in there. but i dont know which pair, its between a pair of perculas: female 4in, male 1.5in and gold stripe maroons female 3in, male 1.5in. and im also going to have a couple of angels my cherub angel, that i already have, and im going to buy a flame angel. i might even add my spotted mandarin goby after a couple of months.
but for the rock work im thinking of doing something like this....

im going to make two islands. one island is going to be my reef full of SPS LPS softies.... and the other side is going to be my anemone island where i will have 3 between 6 anemones depending on which kind i choose to keep (they will all be the same anemones). im going to have a sump where i will place my protein skimmer, and heater. i will have some cheato and crushed coral yada yada. and i will have some metal halides. i plan on glueing a few Monti's to the back of the tank. and wait to see how it will all turn out!!!

troy989

never heard of making 2 islands but good idea u have to have some clowns with those anenomes too!

rlablan

I am 99% sure you can't keep more than 1 anemone. They will sting each other to death and kill each other through toxic warfare.
I also think that the anemone "island" is a poor plan. Anemones move around and will not stay on "an island" is you just will them to. They will not.
I think that in order to really break down the actual cost, you need to think about how you want to buy things. Will everything be brand new? Will some things be second hand??
Here is just an educated guess using craiglist in my area, which is phoenix.
150 tank with stand- ~$300.00 (second hand on CL)
175 watt hamilton MH fixture w/ 3 lamps- ~ $605.00 (not sure the dimensions of a 150 gal tank.)
120lbs LR of CL at ~3 a lb- $360.00 (this is worth the money IMO, just get mature, purple rock. I would not buy much less than 120lbs.)
120 lbs of LS $60 for 20lbs at $360- (I would not buy this used... It's expensive but I have heard nasty things about other people's LS and have bought some myself. Not worth it... buy it from the LFS.)
salt mix for just 150 gallons of water- ~$55.00
so far... the total is coming up to about $1,320.00 w/o tax or shipping or anything. Also, that is without the skimmer, livestock or anything else.

rlablan

You also don't have to have clowns with the anemones. There is a very slim chance that they will host anyway. But if they do, it could take a very long time. I have had my clowns and they have never hosted. One of them started, then stopped. And they have never been back since.
Anemones are also very sensitive creatures and are also very hard to take care of, if not kept by a seasoned aquarist. I have tried 3 so far and I am not going to try again for about another year, if ever again.
When I was new to the hobby, I thought "oh anemones are cool... I'll get some of those..." yeah... didn't work out that way. Just be open minded and don't let your vision of what you want for a tank, get in the way of the health and well being of a creature.

rlablan

Okay, just went back and read again...
School of yellow tangs?
I have to ask- how much research have you done on this?
You sound like you already have a tank, so that is good... but tangs don't get along when they are the same size shape or family... So a school of yellow tangs is out of the question. They would eat each other and they would all be banged up until someone eventually won.
As far as how many tangs, I don't know it depends on the dimensions of the tank itself and I think a 4in tang is pushing it, if you want alot of tangs. I think a 2-3 will be good, because they do grow and get very large.
Also, FYI, angels are not reef safe and keeping "a few" in a tank is not advisable. They don't get along either. I have a cherub in my reef and he is "reef safe" but not really. He does eat my corals a little. The bigger angels, I am afraid, will not be so docile. I think your coral will disappear right before your eyes.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3138244
Okay, just went back and read again...
School of yellow tangs?
I have to ask- how much research have you done on this?
You sound like you already have a tank, so that is good... but tangs don't get along when they are the same size shape or family... So a school of yellow tangs is out of the question. They would eat each other and they would all be banged up until someone eventually won.
As far as how many tangs, I don't know it depends on the dimensions of the tank itself and I think a 4in tang is pushing it, if you want alot of tangs. I think a 2-3 will be good, because they do grow and get very large.
Also, FYI, angels are not reef safe and keeping "a few" in a tank is not advisable. They don't get along either. I have a cherub in my reef and he is "reef safe" but not really. He does eat my corals a little. The bigger angels, I am afraid, will not be so docile. I think your coral will disappear right before your eyes.
i dont have the tank yet. and i plan on buying a brand new tank just to be safe about creaks and leaks. i have the protein skimmer i just need a sump. i know a lot about anemones and i know that you can keep more than one if they are the same kind(which i plan on doing). ill do some more research if i cant then i will just get a magnifica or a large carpet. i already having a pair of hosting clowns, gold stripes. so i know that they will host the anemone for sure. i wont be getting the anemone(s) for about 6 months because i know i need my water to age a little. i have lots of experience with anemones
and i had to give them all away because they got too big for my tank. i think the anemone island will work, most anemones stay put for a really long time when they plant there foot especially the larger ones and even if it gets to a bad place i will move it. It would have to travel a long way to get to the other side. i have seen a school of 3-5 yellow tangs a couple of times if i find another school ill get them, i wont try and school them myself because i know i will be unsuccessful. if i add the angels at the same time they wont bother each other. there are people on this site that have more than 2 angels, and i dont mind if they nip at the coral because most of the coral is going to be SPS and LPS. i have a cherub and it only nips at my xenia.
thanks for the guesstimate, mine was around 2300 with out the live stock. i plan on spending a lot so im looking at around 5000 on live stock. LOL

mr.clownfish

and here is a pic of my pair of hosting gold stripe maroons in there huge leather coral. b4 this they hosted a huge brown condy

mr.clownfish

http:///forum/post/3138238
You also don't have to have clowns with the anemones. There is a very slim chance that they will host anyway. But if they do, it could take a very long time. I have had my clowns and they have never hosted. One of them started, then stopped. And they have never been back since.
Anemones are also very sensitive creatures and are also very hard to take care of, if not kept by a seasoned aquarist. I have tried 3 so far and I am not going to try again for about another year, if ever again.
When I was new to the hobby, I thought "oh anemones are cool... I'll get some of those..." yeah... didn't work out that way. Just be open minded and don't let your vision of what you want for a tank, get in the way of the health and well being of a creature.
im still not sure what im going to do i just might make the other island a reef too

rlablan

I have 2 islands in my tank. I like it. It is actually more common.... I see it alot.
I think the other side being a reef too would be a brighter idea. That's just me... no one else is really putting anything forward...
your tank... it'll be your success... or not... or whatever... down the road.

mr.clownfish

http:///forum/post/3138315
I have 2 islands in my tank. I like it. It is actually more common.... I see it alot.
I think the other side being a reef too would be a brighter idea. That's just me... no one else is really putting anything forward...
your tank... it'll be your success... or not... or whatever... down the road.
i just looked at ur profile.
u have 2 angels urself: rock beauty, cherub angel
lol

rlablan

The rock beauty is not a full angel. It's a cross and they are known for being okay with angels and butterflies. They are the only known ones that are okay with both... Also, one is a dwarf and one if full size. They're different.
I never said you could not have 2. I just said that it wasn't advisable to have multiple. I wouldn't personally put a annularis and like... an emperor together.... Plus you said you wanted a reef, and you wanted multiple angels. To me, that sounds like your reef will not be as successful as it could be.
If you don't like what people have to say, you don't have to take it. But I do think that instead of being condescending and rude to the only person who has anything to say about your tank, you could just ignore it... or try not to be snotty??
Honestly, I could care less about the success of your tank. Really, but what I think is important is that you try your best to take care of the living things that you put in your tank.
You could put a baby next to a wood chipper and it could work out. It probably might but no one would do that.... you could hope that the fish won't get more aggressive with age, or that they won't totally destroy your reef... or hope that you can have an island of anemones that won't eat fish and sting each other and corals to death??
I also never said I was 100% on anything... Do what you want. That's why I said "it's your success or not..."

mr.clownfish

how am i rude?

i didnt say anything. i just disagreed with a few things. i said that i wouldnt care that much if my angels nipped at my coral. they dont eat coral they just nip at it. and it is ok that you can keep more than one of the same kind of anemone. i do care about what you say. Thank you for being the only person that gave me advise . that is why they created this site to give opinions and share what they want to say.
i apologize if i sounded rude and snotty.

mr.clownfish

http:///forum/post/3138427
If you don't like what people have to say, you don't have to take it. But I do think that instead of being condescending and rude to the only person who has anything to say about your tank, you could just ignore it... or try not to be snotty??
Honestly, I could care less about the success of your tank. Really, but what I think is important is that you try your best to take care of the living things that you put in your tank.
You could put a baby next to a wood chipper and it could work out. It probably might but no one would do that.... you could hope that the fish won't get more aggressive with age, or that they won't totally destroy your reef... or hope that you can have an island of anemones that won't eat fish and sting each other and corals to death??
I also never said I was 100% on anything... Do what you want. That's why I said "it's your success or not..."

whitebird

be nice to see that tank when you get it all up and here is saltwater.com says about yellow tangs-
The Yellow Tang is one of the most recognizable saltwater fish available. They are bright yellow in color and do very well in either reef or fish-only tanks. They can be kept in groups of 3 or more, or singly. They are voracious algae eaters.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by Whitebird
http:///forum/post/3138570
be nice to see that tank when you get it all up and here is saltwater.com says about yellow tangs-
The Yellow Tang is one of the most recognizable saltwater fish available. They are bright yellow in color and do very well in either reef or fish-only tanks. They can be kept in groups of 3 or more, or singly. They are voracious algae eaters.

yummysalt

As Mr. Clownfish stated, you can keep more than 1 anenome together if they are the same kind. So it is ok to do it.
Two angels together is also fine with a large tank that Mr. Clownfish is planning on. Just watch them carefully, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
The 4" tangs is also fine. 2 or 3 Yellow Tang can be done, I've seen others done it.
Mr. Clownfish also wasn't being rude or snotty.
Mr. Clownfish also do not have to apologize.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by YummySalt
http:///forum/post/3138598
As Mr. Clownfish stated, you can keep more than 1 anenome together if they are the same kind. So it is ok to do it.
Two angels together is also fine with a large tank that Mr. Clownfish is planning on. Just watch them carefully, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
The 4" tangs is also fine. 2 or 3 Yellow Tang can be done, I've seen others done it.
Mr. Clownfish also wasn't being rude or snotty.
Mr. Clownfish also do not have to apologize.
thanks

aquaknight

hufff.... here goes.....
Tangs, for a 150gal looking at around 2 to 3. I'm not sure, at all, what a 4" tang, or the size of the tang, has much to do with anything %%. It matters on the species of fish. A 250gal is not an appropriate home for a Vlamingi tang. I would really reserve multiple yellow tangs to the tanks in the 300+gal range. The issue of a 150gal is 'most tangs' don't fit. Basically Zebrasoma tangs (yellow/purple/scopas), and Blue Hippos. Most Acanthurus angels need a 24" deep tank, will all but 3 or so needing more then 6feet of length.
Multiple anemones, even different species can be kept in the same tank. However some valid points were brought up. Anemones, especially BTA's will walk. Different species will sting each other and need their distance from each other. If you want an "anemone island" you're going to have to figure a way to kept them there. Also, the point of anemones being harder to keep is true as well, if you'd had success in the past, great.
Multiple angels, a tank in the 150gal range is suitable for multiple angels, especially multiple Centropyge
angels. Of course, if you're also considering coral safe angels, that's a completely separate idea.
Lastly, and this is by far the most bizarre idea I've heard, but a Rock Beauty is 100% an angelfish. It is in the Holocanthus
genus, a close relative of the Queen/Blue/Passer angel.