It's not a stick!

texasex

Can anyone tell me what this is? I have no clue. It came on my live rock from SWF.com, and I thought it was just a stick, but it looked cool and I left it. But now the second branch growing on the side is all new growth. It wasn't there when I got it. (It does have hair algae on it, sorry, but my cleaning guys aren't helping me out with this one.) Is it a coral or a plant or what?! :confused: Any Ideas?

texasex

I looked up purple whip, and while I am not sure that is what it is, it does look like a gorgonian (I hope I spelled that right). The one it really looks like is from Australia, and since this live rock was from Florida, not sure that is what it is. Oh well! :nope: Thanks for your imput!

ophiura

It is a gorgonian, IMO...but there are many Caribbean species as well that might show up on Florida rock. So its growing, huh? Any sign of polyps?

texasex

I know, It looks dead, and I haven't seen any polyps yet. The only reason that I know that it isn't dead, is the new stem on the right. It was just a straight up stick with little side branches on it. Is there anything special that I need to do for it, how do I tell if it ever does die, and how do I get the algae off of the poor thing?

shoreliner11

If you can't get enough flow on him, be very careful but try and actually rub the algae off with your hands. It worked great for my diodogorgonia(sp?) but I'm not sure if yours is too fragile for that. Good luck

greatfullreefer

Gorgs need to be in a high flow area for feeding purposes, lighting is not an issue as they are not photosynthetic and need to be spot fed with products like cyclopseeze(sp?) as they do NOT eat phytoplankton. Additionally they will not tolerate algae what so ever and will perish.

ophiura

Originally posted by shawnts106
I agree that they need to have high flow... however I DOUGHT VERY seriously that a sponge (basically) eats frozen, freeze dried artiemia... they are too large for its polyps... and they do eat phytoplankton... look it up!

A sponge? What sponge? There is no comparison whatsoever between a sponge and a gorgonian. :notsure: :confused:

ophiura

Phylum Cnidaria
Subclass Alcyonaria
Class Anthozoa
Order Gorgonacea
Here you will find the gorgonian....
Sponges are, of course, in the Phylum Porifera.....way totally different. WAY DIFFERENT. Don't even get me started. Sponges are cellular grade animals; cnidarians (gorgonians) are tissue grade. Feeding is not even remotely comparable between the two. Gorgonians have polyps like other cnidarians (corals, anemones)...sponges do not. OK, don't get me really started.
FWIW, I agree with Dr. Reef...if does basically look like the internal skeleton of a gorgonian. But if it is growing :notsure: It would be important, in identification, to see the pore shape and color of the polyps.

ophiura

Originally posted by MolaMola
It's a labradore retriever. You're all WAY off.

Now that you mention it....LOL

molamola

Additionaly, members of the retriever family DO NOT feed on phytoplankton, zooplankton, or any other such organism, unless by mistake. They generally feed on meaty substances. I prefer Iams, or Science Diet, although there are many who would argue that Purina is just as good. Keep in mind that spot feeding can be quite dangerous.

ophiura

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You know a sponge is a poriferan but apparently not that a gorgonian is a cnidarian...nice try, though, to redirect. The diet of sponges is of no relevance to this thread - though your comment that they eat phytoplankton is misleading (and certainly those new hobbyists experiencing a bloom of "q tip" sponges would question it too as I reckon few dose with phytoplankton).
Rob Toonen, a pretty notable invertebrate zoologist who often writes on their captive care, had this to say on sponges:
Some free cells (ameobocytes) cruise around through these water channels and ingest small algal cells, protozoans, detritus and other organic particles in the range of 2-5 microns (about the size of Nannochloropsis). Other freely moving cells (archeocytes) take these captured particles and complete the digestion of them before passing nutrients along to the rest of the body. Despite the ability to capture particles, however, dissolved organic matter (DOM) is *extremely* important to the nutrition of sponges; studies on three species of Jamaican sponges showed that 80% of organic matter taken up by sponges was below the resolvability of microscopy, while the other 20% was comprised primarily of bacteria and dinoflagellates. Only a very small percentage of the diet of sponges is made up of phytoplankton, and in many cases, the addition of live phytoplankton to culture systems with sponges actually *decreases* growth
because the phytoplankton take up some DOM prior to being ingested and end up competing with the sponges rather than feeding them....
The bold emphasis is my own...
However, back to either gorgonians (or dogs if you wish)...how many have you actually watched feed? I am still trying to work out the double negative of "not witnessed not one." It implies you've witnessed more than one eating it. :notsure:
Perhaps MolaMola can help on that english grammar stuff.... :happy:

molamola

We all know that regardless of what the websites and experts say, gorgonians really only eat finely shredded cheese, but I've
just read five different articles all stating that Gorgonians, which have nothing to do with sponges, and depending on which type of gorgonian it is, eat phytoplankton, zooplankton, baby brine shrimp, and yes, finely shredded cheese. So everyone is right, depending on which gorgonian they choose.
Here a list I have copied of gorgonian food:
invertebrate eggs, larvae, ciliates, copepods, microzooplankton, particulate organic detritus, diatoms, dinoflagellates, and phytoplankton...and finely shredded cheese, and mulled wine.

ophiura

Mulled wine? Sure you didn't partake of some when doing your research and get a bit confused?

molamola

When I composed my previous entry, I was not partaking of any mulled wine. I surely wish I were, but I was "working," at that moment. I happen to know FOR A FACT, that gorgonians are raging drunkards and that is why they don't grow straight up and down. Isn't it obvious? Also, I would like to note that Ophiura is a scientist, and not a "scientist," and the author of the article on sponges and their dietary requirements is also a scientist and not a "scientist."

ophiura

OK, the check's in the mail..... :yes: .....you can buy some more wine with it. It's Friday! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

molamola

I'm going straight for the Cat Phee wine, as soon as I finish oiling the feet of my Turbo snails. They've been a little sluggish lately <ba-doom boom>. Have a terrific weekend.