It's Offical

blue oasis

We just bought a 90gal drilled tank, with a 150 sock wet/dry system. We have 100lbs of LS and 115lbs of LR (60 Marshal & 55 Tonga) we have 2 maxi-jet 600 & 900 and a 250watt heater and a euro flo 5-2. We were up last night setting up the LR and filling the tank (14/5gal of salt water) and this morning we turned all the power on and it's up and running.
It is a little cloudy, but we figured it will clear up in about a day or two and now comes the 4 weeks of wating for it to all cycle.
Is there anything we can do in the mean time such as test the water, or do we just have to wait?
N & G

drew2005

Originally Posted by BLUE OASIS
We just bought a 90gal drilled tank, with a 150 sock wet/dry system. We have 100lbs of LS and 115lbs of LR (60 Marshal & 55 Tonga) we have 2 maxi-jet 600 & 900 and a 250watt heater and a euro flo 5-2. We were up last night setting up the LR and filling the tank (14/5gal of salt water) and this morning we turned all the power on and it's up and running.
It is a little cloudy, but we figured it will clear up in about a day or two and now comes the 4 weeks of wating for it to all cycle.
Is there anything we can do in the mean time such as test the water, or do we just have to wait?
N & G
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate so you can determine the start and finish of the cycle. If the LR is uncured then you should see an ammonia spike within a day.

blue oasis

OK, we did our first water test 24 hours after we added the water into the tank and the following are the results
Ammonia - is at 3.0 - it should be at 0. What do I need to do to lower this # if anything?
Nitrate - is at 0 - what should this be at, since the directions do not state it?
Nitrite - is at 0 - it should be at 0.
If anyone can help we would appreciate
N & G

ithorian_r

this is part of the cycle. first the ammonia will spike, then after awhile it will fall and your nitrites will spike. then that will get converted to nitrates so youll get a nitrate spike. after that falls below 20 ppm, you are good to go! double check all parameters before you start adding livestock

ezee

BLUE OASIS,
There are folks that think allowing the ammonia to go higher than 1.0 is not good for your rock, as it may kill the remaining life there. You might want to research that on this board. I have heard that regulating with water changes after the 1.0 mark helps.
E

J

jdragunas

yes, this was actually stated by Michael Fenner. You should keep your ammonia below 1.0, or else you'll lose your hitchikers. He also pointed out that the cycle can happen just as well with ammonia at 1.0, so what's the point of letting it go up so high. Also, he said (in many more scientific words that what i'm about to use) that letting your ammonia go up too high is counterproductive, and can actually start killing the bacteria that you're trying to grow.
So i'd do water changes to help lower the ammonia to 1.0.
The way your cycle works is this:
1. introduction of ammonia (toxic) (LR, shrimp)
2. aerobic bacteria begins to grow, and converts ammonia to nitrites (also toxic)
3. other aerobic bacteria begins to grow and converts the nitrites to nitrates (not-so-toxic)
The whole point of this "cycle" is to grow these bacteria so your system can turn the very toxic ammonia into the not-so-toxic nitrates. This way, your tank can handle the addition of your ammonia-producing fish. (the ammonia being poo and pee).
So you'll see a spike in your ammonia (you already do). Then your ammonia will start to fall, and your nitrites will spike. Then your nitrites will begin to fall and your nitrates will spike. When your ammonia and nitrites are 0, your cycle is complete. This is when you should do water changes to get your nitrates below 20ppm. At this low level, the nitrates aren't toxic to fish. If they get above 40ppm, it starts getting unlivable.
Well, hope i didn't ramble too much... i tend to do that... lol Good Luck!!!

blue oasis

Ok we did another Amonia test this evening at it was still close to the 3.0 mark, so we did what you advised and did a water chage. We have a 90gal tank and took out 15gal of old water and replaced it with new water.
WEe are going let the tank run for a few days and at the end of the week, we are goimng to test the water again and see where we are.
Thanks for your help everyone, this can get a little nerve racking and we just
started..
N & G

debbraey

BLUE OASIS,
1st WELCOME & CONGRATS
BTW....It's not a hooby it's a madnessI found a post from you else where. I tried to email you but you do not allow it. I am also in Palm Harbor. Email me and I can help you out and hook you up with a few other people who you can also talk to.
Everyone has a diferent opinion when it comes to reef tanks. The best thing to do is hear everyone's suggestions, read as much about it as you can. But most important research every creature prior to adding it to your system. Bottom line is in the end it is your money and your choices to make. Some times those choices will be wrong, unfortunately that is how most learn.
You being local could help both of us. We could team up on mail orders and things of that nature. (we already have 3 of us that order together)
We are curently trying to get a local club together for trades and things of that nature.
My email is my user name plus @yahoo.com

danedodger

Welcome to the addiction!!
Others have already explained about the ammonia and cycling the tank very nicely and I agree with Debbraey. Learn the basics of aquariums, read read read, talk to folks to hear what they have to say, then apply your own common sense and do what YOU think is right and best. That's important because you'll get LOADS of differing views and opinions, lots of times they'll completely contradict, and often you'll probably get completely bad advice so don't take anything as gospel just because "so and so" says it.
I also heartily agree with research any critters you are thinking of putting in before you buy. I don't think a saltwater tank is any harder to manage than freshwater personally (although lots disagree with me on that
) but it does seem like the livestock you can put in need more research than with fresh.
Watch for algae starting to grow! You usually get that when you're starting a tank and dang it seems like a much bigger beastie to handle than with fresh to me! There's a zillion different types, some is desireable like the corraline, some of it is downright bad like cyano, and much of it is just a sign of a healthy tank but can take over everything practically overnight and become a problem like hair algae. If you're lucky you'll get the "nuisance" algaes first (if not the bad ones!) so whatever you see starting to grow identify it and get a jump on it quickly! Hopefully you're already using RO/DI water?

blue oasis

Debbraey,
It is great to meet someone in our area and we are very much interested in speaking with you regarding the wonderful life of Saltwater Aquariums.
We have tried to E-mail you as well, and it would not let us send for some reason so here is our # 727-744-7143, please feel free to call and maybe we can meet and you can explain how to install a Protein Skimmer into our Sump.
With reagrds to getting together a small group, we think that would be a great idea. Also we like the idea of placing large orders vs just small, financially it is a smarter move.
We have been reading a book called "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta it is like step by step 101 for dummies. It has helped a little in understanding how a saltwater tank is maintained, but there is so much more to learn. That is when you lspeak with people and learn from their experience.
Hope to hear from you.
Nancy & gary