I've been out of the hobby for a few years and need some lighting help

cmack

Hi all,
My last tank was a 180 with MH lighting, I stepped away for a few years and have now been given a 125 Gal tank, 6' x 18.5" x 23 D. I'd like to do LED lights or a mix of LED and something else, trying to keep power consumption down. What would you recommend? I typically keep LPS, but would like the ability to keep SPS (near the top, and possibly Clams in the future.

Thanks!!

cmack

So how many and what wattage would I use over a 6' 125G tank? there isn't much info on the auction page. I am also thinking about "Current Orbit IC" and then supplement with lights like these as needed

cmack

The Current Orbit IC LEDs ar $399 for my size tank, so i was thinking of using those and supplement lighting as needed in the future.

2quills

If you're serious about a clam and sps I'd stearate clear of those units unless you want to supplement with metal halide.

That rig only puts out a fraction of the power that the higher end units do.

I'd research the forums and get some feedback back from those who've tried them.

cmack

Good video...I'm currently thinking a couple Kessil 160WE lights and adding supplemental. A little more than I originally wanted to spend but for a tank this size i don't want to go too cheap

drtito

I figure you can always add more light , got T5s , LEDs , more LEDs for color and gonna add these for an extra kick . what ever u pick good luck :)

lmforbis

2 160s on a 125 won't be enough light for coral. Of course you can always add more Along the way. That is the great thing about these fixtures. They are great fixtures. You might consider getting the spectral controller as well.
I started with 2 160s on my 125. I now have two 160s on one half and a 360we on the other pluse T5s, 1 36" two bulb fixture on each side. I do well with LPS with this. I have a couple SPS at the very top and an anemone at the top that do OK. Not great growth but some. In the future I plan to get 1 more 360 so I have a 160 and a 360 on each side.

cmack

I'm figuring 3 160WE lights then supplement as needed with cheaper lights like the ones in the video above

jamesdeed

Hi, I saw this topic has been created, so I am writing to this topic as I need lighting advice too. :)

I am new to this hobby and I have just started setting up my fish tank 3ft by 2ft, around 3ft deep. I had my cousin helped me to fix it. He told me that LED is more efficient and most people are using it, but I still prefer MH and I was reading a magazine saying that the higher kelvin will bring better performance for SPS corals. I would like to know more info from the experts before I decide on my lighting fixtures. The magazine was saying that 17k -20k Metal Halide would bring the best result, any comments?