I've been screwed!

azfishgal

Originally Posted by maelv
Question for you nano pod guru's.....
The Drs. sell a JBJ 12 gallon nano. The deluxe model with the double 24-watt 50/50 is $199....
There is a guy locally who is selling that particular unit that is 4 months old for $100 (with a MJ 1200 he swapped out)....is this a good deal for the unit? Or is this even a good unit at all?
The wife wants a small reef for her office, and thought I could get her one. And with that stock lighting, will I be able to throw corals in the tank?
Thanks all.
Well, at least you are doing your research first. Be careful on "deals" it may come back to bite you later. But, I'll let the "nano" experts answer your question. After all this, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with the Bio Cube.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by maelv
Question for you nano pod guru's.....
The Drs. sell a JBJ 12 gallon nano. The deluxe model with the double 24-watt 50/50 is $199....
There is a guy locally who is selling that particular unit that is 4 months old for $100 (with a MJ 1200 he swapped out)....is this a good deal for the unit? Or is this even a good unit at all?
The wife wants a small reef for her office, and thought I could get her one. And with that stock lighting, will I be able to throw corals in the tank?
Thanks all.
I have a JBJ 6 gallon nano that has compact PC lighing and the blue nightlight. I really like this tank. It filters really well. I am not using it right now since I have nothing in QT. I am thinking of setting up a mini reef in it to put frags from the main tank in. I am really impressed with this model. I know some of them had an issue with the curved glass corners cracking in shipping. Mine did but JBJ replaced it immediately. They have to be packed well and shipped carefully. A very nice tank.
Mine cost $99 new. Depending on the condition I would say $100 for the 12 gallon version is a very good price.

dboehme

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a 12 gallon Eclipse tank with a heater, live rock, live sand, 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp and a cleanup crew...is this a bad tank for such a setup and should I be switching to a 12 gallon nanocube instead?
Eventually, I'd like to add coral and I suspect that the lighting and the pump in the 12 gal Nanocube deluxe would be better.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by dboehme
Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a 12 gallon Eclipse tank with a heater, live rock, live sand, 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp and a cleanup crew...is this a bad tank for such a setup and should I be switching to a 12 gallon nanocube instead?
Eventually, I'd like to add coral and I suspect that the lighting and the pump in the 12 gal Nanocube deluxe would be better.
IMO, aftergetting a nano, I prefer the Eclipse. (I have one for my freshwater fish.) There is more swimming room for the fish and it's actually 12 gallons, NOT 10 like the nanos (and that includes the chambers in the back, so even less swimming room). I have seen some retro fit light kits for the Eclipse to add better lighting, so you might want to check into that. Even with my Nano, a power head still had to be added. I really don't think the pump my nano tank came with is much stronger than the eclipse pump. Can't speak for other brands, but the Eclipse does have more swimming room for the fish.
Edit: Even better than the Eclipse is a 20L, you can actually find them at the large pet store chains, get a filter and lid, and then add a PH for about the same price as the Eclipse and much less than the Nano tanks, WITH even more swimming room, as the 20L is 30" long. I'm kicking myself now, because I wish I would have gone that route for my QT.

dboehme

Thanks for your reply!
It seems SmartPaq makes a 32w replacement light with remote ballast for the Eclipse 12.

azfishgal

Thanks for your reply!
It seems SmartPaq makes a 32w replacement light with remote ballast for the Eclipse 12.
Awesome!
I knew there was some way of revamping the Eclipse to make it work. I'd love to see pics of your Eclipse. :joy:

dboehme

As soon as I get my algae problem in check, I'll post some pics. I purchased some astrea (sp?) snail to clean up and immediately one of the hermits thought it would be a good idea to eat one. Hopefully they're all still there when I get back from my business trip. (my wife feeds the clowns but doesn't give me status on the cleanup crew except to tell me when the cleaner shrimp mults)

azfishgal

As soon as I get my algae problem in check, I'll post some pics. I purchased some astrea (sp?) snail to clean up and immediately one of the hermits thought it would be a good idea to eat one. Hopefully they're all still there when I get back from my business trip. (my wife feeds the clowns but doesn't give me status on the cleanup crew except to tell me when the cleaner shrimp mults)
Which is why I won't have hermit crabs in the DT, only in the refuge. I don't want them eating my snails.
Go buy some empty shells and they should leave your snails alone.

teresaq

do you have extra shells for your hermits. I have had mine for quite some time, and have never really seen them bother my snails as long as they have lots of shells to choose from.
A-did you get the problem fixed with your hood. How is it working now.
Hope everything is ok.
Teresa
PS. you can buy a complete 10 or 29 gal set up at walmart for 29 to 49 bucks. its all you need for a qt. it comes with light, filter, and such

C

crazynemo

i didnt read all of this but i notice u needed some info on a top. check out nanotuners.com they are pretty good. i apologize if someone already mentioned this. wow i just noticed i havent been to this site since june of 2005..

azfishgal

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
A-did you get the problem fixed with your hood. How is it working now.
Hope everything is ok.
I sent the hood back on Monday and was told they would either fix it, or send me a new one.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by crazynemo
i didnt read all of this but i notice u needed some info on a top. check out nanotuners.com they are pretty good. i apologize if someone already mentioned this. wow i just noticed i havent been to this site since june of 2005..
No one has mentioned it, so thanks! And Welcome Back!