ive had it with large reefs. going FOWLR!

N

nemo_66

well, ive just about had it with large reefs. im going back and setting up a nano reef. so my 58 gallon oceanic will be a FOWLR. the dimensions are 3 feet long, and i believe 18 inches deep. dont know the height.
so far i have a foxface and a niger trigger in the tank. i know that both will outgrow, but i already have friends that will adopt them once they get too big.
so my question is, what other fish/es can go with these two? i want them to be eye catchers. i might get a SFE, but i havent decided, as my other one jumped out the day before i got my canopy

well, any suggestions will be appreciated. NO FLAMING.

PS, i would love for them to be aggresive feeders, but thats not a must...

R

regina13

Ok, just some ideas.
What about a golden dwarf moray eel? They stay under 12" and have beautiful color. They are kind of exprensive, but well worth the money.
A dwarf lion would be cool. If you are lucky you could get one with a yellow or red color to them.
Angler. Alot of people have been getting anglers lately. They are very cool, but you have to watch what tankmates you put with them.
Hope that gives you a few ideas!

N

nemo_66

thanks. i always wanted a dwarf lion, but i heard they cannot be kept with triggers, as they will pull out the lions stingers.
i will look into the golden dwarf moray. the snowflake was my main attraction to my tank when i had it, so a golden eel will definatley get some attention. :D
i havent seen any anglers at my LFS, but will have an eye out.
and thanks a lot for the suggestions regina13
any other suggestions are welcome.

lion_crazz

How about a nocturnal tank? Donate the trigger to your LFS and go with a small dwarf lion, marine betta, and the centerpiece could be a rhinopias.

N

nemo_66

thats the problem. i love my trigger, and is the only reason im not going to flat out sell the tank. he has awesome color. and my LFS only offers like, 10-20 dollars for just about every fish, unless its showsize.
and i just looked up the golden dwarf moray and rhinopias, and they both seem a little to high on the price list. the most im willing to spend on a fish is 100. a little more is fine. less is always better though lol.

R

regina13

Originally Posted by Nemo_66
http:///forum/post/2706213
thats the problem. i love my trigger, and is the only reason im not going to flat out sell the tank. he has awesome color. and my LFS only offers like, 10-20 dollars for just about every fish, unless its showsize.
and i just looked up the golden dwarf moray and rhinopias, and they both seem a little to high on the price list. the most im willing to spend on a fish is 100. a little more is fine. less is always better though lol.

You can get a golden for about 125-150 on Eba-y. They have beautiful ones. The best part is free shipping!

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by regina13
http:///forum/post/2706216
You can get a golden for about 125-150 on Eba-y. They have beautiful ones. The best part is free shipping!
Could you pm me a direct link on that Regina?
Afraid I agree with LionCraz on the Niger....In a 55 he is going get really really nasty as he gets older. It will be a bit hard to find suitable tankmates with him.
I would look at Flame Angel, Dwarf Lion, Maroon Clown, and maybe a Valentini Puffer....And if you could get a Dwarf Eel for that price, that would be a good addition.

N

nemo_66

not trying to be a smart mouth, but its a 58 gallon. i could never stand a 55's dimensions. and like i said, i already have a friend who wants a medium sized niger that im willing to give to him once it reaches 'medium sized'. and i would love to get the dwarf golden eel for that price! i need to check it out. thanks.
any other suggestions?

R

regina13

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2706235
Could you pm me a direct link on that Regina?
Afraid I agree with LionCraz on the Niger....In a 55 he is going get really really nasty as he gets older. It will be a bit hard to find suitable tankmates with him.
I would look at Flame Angel, Dwarf Lion, Maroon Clown, and maybe a Valentini Puffer....And if you could get a Dwarf Eel for that price, that would be a good addition.
you got a pm
As far as I know, Tim (myerst22) got his from them. They also have good feedback.

R

regina13

http:///forum/post/2706261
not trying to be a smart mouth, but its a 58 gallon. i could never stand a 55's dimensions. and like i said, i already have a friend who wants a medium sized niger that im willing to give to him once it reaches 'medium sized'. and i would love to get the dwarf golden eel for that price! i need to check it out. thanks.
any other suggestions?
I pm'd you the link also!

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/2706261
any other suggestions?
Perhaps it's just going to be a smart/safer decision then just to wait till the Foxface and Niger are relocated. If you want to add some fish before then, my recommendations would be for a nice Golden Midas Blenny and a Flame (or another type of dwarf) Angel.

N

nemo_66

just stabbing in the dark here, but do you think i could keep a porcupine puffer in this tank?
ohh, nevermind. just saw their full grown size.
i think i may just get some chromis so they can school...

A

alexmir

I have always wanted a marine betta, they are one of the prettiest fish IMO! Besides those 500$ fish, marine bettas and clown triggers the two prettiest fish i have seen. Two fish i would have in a large FOWLR

aquaknight

8". Though in captivity anything over 6" will be a success. As part of the Roundhead family, (not directly related to groupers, common misconception), their mouths will still be somewhat small and their shy nature will go somewhat away, but they never will become "bold."