I've lost my mind!

noobzilla

So I got a brain coral, to see if that helps any. It's been sitting in QT for awhile now and I decided to put it in my DT, however I'm needing some info, first off, I forgot what kind of brain it is.

Secondly, I've read to leave them on the sand, but the LFS guy told me put it on a piece of LR. I'm really liking the look of it on the rock it's on, however don't want to cause it any more stress then it currently has, so should I move it, or leave it?
I've been waiting about a year now on one of these that I felt would look good in my tank, and finally found one, so I want to make sure it has a long and healthy life.

reefr

Q1) Your coral is a Maze Brain coral- Platygyra spp.
Q2)
Leave IT! corals don't do well if you keep touching them and moving them from place to place. What lights do you have? If he starts to shrivel and close up, it may have TOO much light, so then you would place him lower.

noobzilla

I only touched it the one time to move it and set it on the rock, and it's on the bottom of the tank. It's just sitting on a piece of rock that is about 3" tall.
I've got 2 T5HO's with a 10k bulb and blue, 54W.
Platygyra was the name they kept telling me, but it kept slipping my mind. Thanks for the info!

reefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobzilla http:///t/393556/ive-lost-my-mind#post_3501913
55G with 20g sump, roughly 70G total, give or take.
What current corals do you have?
You will want to upgrade to a stronger light if you want to continue to add corals, since the 2 bulbs are not enough to sustain many corals long-term and allow proper growth.

noobzilla

I'm actually in the process of getting the parts to build a better light set up. Everything I have currently is small frags, mainly zoas (which are growing nicely), a small acan, a small sun coral, a shroom that just left a little one behind and the small brain frag. I'm trying to grow some decent sized frags for when I get a much bigger tank. I've been waiting on the shop to give me a price on a 280 and 350g tanks that I've been looking at the last couple months, but they haven't decided if they want to get rid of them, or stock them. I'll be out in the shop over the next week deciding whether I want to use the MH ballasts we have sitting around, or stick with the T5's but making a canopy that houses 4-6 bulbs.