ive rock

paintball

i ahve had my tank for about 4 months i have been adding calcium the past month. my Live rock has almost no algae on it. what is wrong the past week i got tiny little like neon green parts on my live rock but you can barely see them. what should i do?

paintball

thats wat i mean coralnie algae. the almost neon green might be coraline but its so small u can barely see it.

paintball

i want another light but i dont want to spend 50 or 60 buks caN a get a good l;ight stron anough for coraline for under 50$??

swnewb

I went to Lowes and bought a shop light and a couple "aquarium" bulbs. It isn't going to support any coral, but it is so much better than the single strip that came with my tank. So now instead of 20 watts on a 65, I have 50 watts. Good enough for FOWLR. Upgrading to 4, 95 watt VHO's this summer though. Have the stuff, but not in a hurry until the tank is stable and I'm ready to add corals. Total cost of what I did was like $20 or so.

salty cheese

Originally posted by paintball
i want another light but i dont want to spend 50 or 60 buks caN a get a good l;ight stron anough for coraline for under 50$??

Maybe on the classifieds board, maybe.:)

unleashed

I have a 125 gal FOWLR my lighting is 3 18w 24 in the coraline (purple) is growing nicely.4 months isnt much time for some of the rocks to show alot of life.if you have cured your rock when it was purchased alot of the life was scrubbed away(outer).

shoogieboo

how many wts do i need for 100g i just have my rock in it and it has lots of purple on it? do i need lights to keep it like that? its still cycling

unleashed

Originally posted by shoogieboo
how many wts do i need for 100g i just have my rock in it and it has lots of purple on it? do i need lights to keep it like that? its still cycling

Its all going to depend on what kind of livestock you plan on keeping in your 100 gal.for the best results do your homework before adding live stock make sure you have addequit lighting water flow.tank size requirements for each species.not to mention compatability.for fish only with LR your requirements are minimal.they dont need a high amount of lighting to thrive. then you have your reefs and other types the lighting ranges vary depending on the stock of your tank.not all corals need high lighting to thrive.some require little to medium lighting.so depending on what you want and what you already have for lighting will depend on what you want to stock.in the long run.what I have done for my tanks is i do a lot of search and comparison browsing find each species requirements and compatabiltys before I purchase anything.trial and error in marine tanks can get very costly.so far in 2 yrs I havent done too bad.good luck

snipe

I have a 55 with normal output a big wopping 30 watts :D and my coraline algea is starting to spread I am seeing green and purple starting to show up on my rock.

shoogieboo

has anyone heard of marine life aquatics? i can't get their website and i have a sump from them i just got second hand that hasn't bee running for a while....it has a skimmer and two cylinder type tubes look kinda like the skimmer one has carbon in it and i can't quite tell what the other has its whiteish looking rock with looks like algae on it...does anyone know what this might be and if i need to change it out before starting it up again? i do change out the carbon right?

unleashed

i think i know what your talking about the white rocks are like a bio filter yes changing them and yoor carbon pack would prolly be a good idea.you neevr know how long they have been in that filter.but sorry i havent heard of that web site either..try searching supply sites and look for that brand name