iwaki or little giant pump users question

lagatbezan

Hi,
I was looking at the Iwaki WMD-30RLXT or the Little Giant 4MDQXSC.
I was wondering do either one of these pumps have a flow rate control on them that you can control the flow rate?
I need to get a return pump from my sump to my 240g which will be at the height of 6'. will these be good pumps to get? will they be sufficient ? any suggestions?
thanks.

robchuck

Either of those pumps would be good for a return pump for your tank, but the Iwaki pump will run quieter and more dependable.
And neither pump has built-in flow control, but that can easily be taken care of by plumbing a ball valve or a gate valve between the pump's outlet and the outlets for the return plumbing.

timo

The Iwaki is not a quiet pump. The cooling fan is the culprit.
6' head is a bunch. Couple that with loss from pipe turns, you'll loose a considerable amount of gph's.
You may want to look into some more powerful pumps than the Iwaki 30 range.

msd2

I beg to differ, my Iwaki pump is whisper quiet and has been in service for 4-5 years. Install a simple ball valve someplace after the pump and flow issues solved :)

msd2

Originally posted by TimO
Which one.
I can hear my 40 from other rooms.

I run a 20 and used to run a 30

timo

In fact, an iwaki 20 at 6' head would be 280gph, and that's without any bends in the pipe. That's less than a maxi-jet 1200.

msd2

In fact, an iwaki 20 at 6' head would be 280gph, and that's without any bends in the pipe. That's less than a maxi-jet 1200.

works great on a closed loop which is how its setup, and im not sure where ur numbers are from but actual measured output is 554gph on it, but yes its not got a 6 foot rise to go.
I cant imagine that the 40 would make that much more noise than a 30 because neither the 20 or the 30 produce noise at all. Do u have the cheaper american motor version of the Iwaki maybe thats the problem they could be noisey not sure.

timo

Nice try on the cut.
My numbers are sound.
My 40's on a closed loop, too.
Research what gravity and friction do for water flowing thru a pipe, you'd be surprised at the loss.
If you post how high your water rises from the pump to tank, vertically, as well as horizontally, as well as the pipe size, and # of 90 degree and 45 degree turns, the exact type of pump you have, I'll tell you the actual output.

timo

I don't mean to be snobbish on the head loss calculator, but board rules prevent me from posting the link.

msd2

Nice try on the cut.
My numbers are sound.
My 40's on a closed loop, too.
Research what gravity and friction do for water flowing thru a pipe, you'd be surprised at the loss.
If you post how high your water rises from the pump to tank, vertically, as well as horizontally, as well as the pipe size, and # of 90 degree and 45 degree turns, the exact type of pump you have, I'll tell you the actual output.

lol or you could actually put the output in a 5 gallon bucket and see how long it taks to fill it.
It wasnt meant to be a cut but a possible explaination. Your the first person I have ever heard of saying Iwaki pumps are loud.
and you can put links as long as they are not a competitor of swf

timo

In this bucket example, the top would have to be at the heigth of the tank.
The link has been banned in the past. I have not a clue to the formula.
I've never known of anyone to claim an Iwaki as "silent", but I know of noone with one that small, so here, you're the expert!
I, however, recommend a larger than my pump for return to a 240 with 6' head. You get used to the noise.

msd2

Totally off topic and honestly im not going to discuss this further than this final post. I do not pretend to be an expert when it comes to plumbing and definitely am not looking for validation of being one. Any further discussion on this topic has the flavor of a personal attack rather than an exchange of info.
The orginal question was about the 30, I have used it, it ran great, was quiet, and I have no problem suggesting it. The only reason I am not using it any longer is I was careless dropped the pump while I was cleaning it and broke the casing.
I can't comment on the LG pump never used one.
Anyway good luck lagatbezan with whichever pump u go with!
One suggestion Lagatbezan to think of doing is to get sound deadening panels from HD. I mounted a few on the doors and rear wall behind my tank and it made a difference. I no longer have to listen to the water running into the sump/fuge or the hum of the ER skimmer. :)

lagatbezan

thanks everyone for ur input!
so are the pumps i have listed going to be sufficent? :notsure:
What other pupms do you guys suggest i look at? are mag's any good?
-mag-18 gives 1100g/h - 6'
-Little Giant 4MDQXSC gives 1080 GPH - 6 FT
-Iwaki WMD-30RLXT gives 720 g/h - 6 FT
any recommendations on which one or any other ones i should be considering?
thanks.

timo

Good idea on the sound panels...
Are you going to use multiple return pumps?
Good flow translates to good fish health.
Indeed, good luck!