Jacksdad's 24 NC

alohami

Very nice!
Those red mushrooms are intense! I'd love to get my hands on one of those if you happen to have any extra. :thinking:

jacksdad

Originally Posted by AlohaMI
Very nice!
Those red mushrooms are intense! I'd love to get my hands on one of those if you happen to have any extra. :thinking:
Are you going to either one of the local swaps here in Michigan? If so, we may be able to strike a deal.
Bob

alohami

That's kind of what I was hinting at.
I am going to the FG swap on Sunday.
I have a frag of a giant neon green & pink fuzzy mushroom if you might be interested in that for a trade. Right now it is approx. silver dollar size and mounted to the top half of a clam shell. The main mushroom was approx 4" before this piece broke off a couple of months ago, and the main one has since split into two.
Just let me know. Thanks!

jacksdad

I will be there as well. I will be at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society donation table. Carl was nice enough to let me set one up. I will cut one of the red shrooms off for ya. How 'bout you just make a small donation of $25.00 and I will even throw in a small zoo frag. Or if you qould rather we can do the trade.
Let me know and Thanks,
Bob

bonebrake

Looking great Bob!
:joy:
I remember a good while back you were having trouble with your zoanthids not opening. Did you ever figure out what the cause of that was?
:notsure:
You're making my metal halide jealously grow greener!

jacksdad

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Looking great Bob!
:joy:
I remember a good while back you were having trouble with your zoanthids not opening. Did you ever figure out what the cause of that was?
Thanks Bonebrake!!!
Yes it was in fact the MH. Even though I thought I was acclimating my corals to the new, more intense lighting, I was actually burning them up. Note to anyone who upgrades to MH. Even if you start the photo period at one hour and gradually increase that time, you are damaging your coral. The best way to introduce the new lighting is by implementing the window screen method. Cut several pieces of screen big enough that they will cover the top of your tank. (about 8 to 10 pieces) Set your lights to the photo period you want and every week remove a piece of screening.
Just a little FYI!!
Bob
P.S.
Going to big swap here this weekend so I should have some updates!!
:cheer:

Now if I can just find a way to get the new stuff in the tank without the wife finding out!!! Especially the $50.00 per poylp purple death palys!

alohami

Ooooh! You got a purple death?!? I'm soooooooo jealous!
I wasn't quick enough on those. Good for you! Those are spectacular. You will definately have to post an update after we get back from the swap.

bonebrake

Originally Posted by jacksdad

Thanks Bonebrake!!!
Yes it was in fact the MH. Even though I thought I was acclimating my corals to the new, more intense lighting, I was actually burning them up. Note to anyone who upgrades to MH. Even if you start the photo period at one hour and gradually increase that time, you are damaging your coral. The best way to introduce the new lighting is by implementing the window screen method. Cut several pieces of screen big enough that they will cover the top of your tank. (about 8 to 10 pieces) Set your lights to the photo period you want and every week remove a piece of screening.
Just a little FYI!!
Sounds good Bob! I am glad you got the problem solved and figured out what was going on!
Originally Posted by jacksdad

P.S.
Going to big swap here this weekend so I should have some updates!!
:cheer:

Now if I can just find a way to get the new stuff in the tank without the wife finding out!!! Especially the $50.00 per poylp purple death palys!

Bob, you wouldn't mean these would you?

jacksdad

Nope not those.
I will post a pic tonight of some of the things I got, including the Purple.
Bob
Sounds good Bob! I am glad you got the problem solved and figured out what was going on!

jacksdad

Here is the polyp of purple death that I got. The picture does not even come close to capturing the color. The purple is so deep that it is almost black, with just the slightest hint of red around the edge.
thanks for the compliments!!!
Bob

wla1610

What is the scientific name for those red mushrooms? That is the mushroom i'm looking for since i lost everything thanks to a bad heater...

bonebrake

Ship that purple death polyp to me Bob so I can appreciate the true color. I will ship it back to you right away... honest...

arsen_36

what are those called! i want some real bad!

nano_nut

Hey sorry but could you tell me what kind of lighting you have? Anyway you could post pics of your hood? Or give me a link with photos?