Japapnese Dragon Eel Advice

dougedoug

Just picked up a Japanese Dragon Eel about 24" long. All my other fish and my snowflake eel are too big for him to eat. Any care advice? I know that I need to keep him well fed and give him space to hide, etc. That is all covered, Just curious if anyone who has actually had one can give me some pointers. I know they are very hardy and easy to care for and it may take about a week or so for it to start eating. He is a 200 gallon FO tank with hippo tang, purple tang, golden trevally(small), bird wrasse, lion, snowflake, tassle filefish, sailfin angel.

kylev

Can't really give you any advice but I am very curious to see how this works out for you. I have always wanted a japanese dragon moray but have been to nervous to ever put one in a tank with other fish. Pictures are always appreciated if you can get one!

dougedoug

Always hiding so hard to get a pic of him/her. Just got the eel on Sunday so still getting acclimated. I was told may not eat for the first week or two. Also that if you see the eel swimming around its hungry and you need to feed it. I got a good size snowflake eel in there too and they seem to get along but lets see once this dragon gets comfortable.

deejeff442

my fish supplier had one and they are awesome up close.pics don't do justice.i want to do a fowlr if i could have one.but after research i came up with...they should be in a specimen tank alone.even if they cant eat a fish they will bite them.good luck with yours he looks awesome.

deejeff442

my fish supplier had one and they are awesome up close.pics don't do justice.i want to do a fowlr if i could have one.but after research i came up with...they should be in a specimen tank alone.even if they cant eat a fish they will bite them.good luck with yours he looks awesome.

deejeff442

gotta laugh. i read an article about the hawaiin dragon eel.it said it one of the more common eels there.well if it was they wouldnt cost a grand

dougedoug

MY LFS has 2 left but he is a pretty big operation. I am told they are not rare but they are just expensive. I have had this one for about 5 days and he is still getting acclimated to the tank. Has not attacked anyone, I was just told if you see him swimming around feed them. Also to use a feeding stick to feed them so when food is in the tank they will eventually just wait for the stick instead of taking pop shots at anything swimming. I got a snowflake which is about 2ft long who has started to do that so I am gonna get him on the feeding stick too.

deejeff442

i had a snowflake for years. he wound up carpet diving . but i had a 1/4 inch wood rod i tappered and stuck mussles and krill on to feed him.you have a good plan . he is awesome

dougedoug

I'm gonna take the dragon back tomorrow. All he wants to eat is live fish. Every fish has a different personality, this one does not fit with my tank. Have been trying to feed him frozen for a month. So far he ate my bird wrasse so it's time for him to go. Gonna try a smaller one at the store.

dougedoug

Mine now just swims all over the tank. I try new food but he does not eat any of it. He bites it and then goes about his way. Not attacking my fish cause he could never fit one in his mouth, but he is very active. Gonna keep trying silversides until he eats them. Eel looks great, just need to get him eating what I want. These eels are a real job compared to others. My snowflake prob grew 10% while trying to get this dragon acclimated =)

jay0705

Have u tried live saltwater shrimp? There not the cheapest but if u want it to eat they work well. I feed my dwarf lion them

dougedoug

Tried a bunch of things, I think the eel is just getting used to the tank. All my other fish are also pretty active when food comes in so that could be throwing the eel off as well. He will bite food, check it out, but he never eats it.

deejeff442

might take a couple weeks to get him to eat.really only need to feed eels once or twice a week.did he eat at the store? i wont buy a fish unless i see them eat

dougedoug

Actually got him to eat fresh crab meat. Was feeding him red claw crabs. They would disappear at night. My snowflake was knocking a few off too. Then i got some fresh crab meat and this eel is all about it but I need to feed at night. Took long enough, but I plan to get this eel eating other fresh/frozen as well. I honestly would not recommend a dragon eel to anyone based on how picky of eaters they are, but thats just my experience. All fish/eels are different even in the same species.

ivan m

Also try feeding it octopus, when i was keeping eels years ago they could NOT resist it, you can buy it at your local fish market. Cut a piece and and use whatever tool you use to feed it and present it right in front, he will grab it.