jaw eats lawnmower blenny

jane nall

This morning I see a caudal fin hanging out of the jaw fish and cannot find my cute lawnmower blenny and everyone else is accounted for. Is this normal?

karajay

WELCOME to the board Jane

I've never heard of a jawfish attacking another fish. Although I have not personally owned one. Keep looking, hopefully your LM will turn up. If not .... sorry

Jawfish are cool but if you're another fish don't piss them off. They can be vicious, mine would always flare his mouth and try to bite others if approached. Unfortunately he disappeared and was never seen again lol

asbury030

yea when i had my jawfish if any other fish came near his hole he would open his mouth as wide as he could and scared them off.But i think they are so cool i'm thinking of getting another jawfish.

S

sebae0

what kind of jawfish? i have had 2 different kind and don't beleive anyone could've eaten any fish. maybe it died then the jawfish got a piece of it?

jane nall

Some poeple called it a rock fish, because it builds home under the rocks and looks like a rock. He has always been protecting his home and drags shells and small rocks up around the opening. He swims very quickly to the top to get food and opens his mouth to deter others thinking he might have something good to eat at his house! By last night he was hungry, so the LMB was an early Christmas dinner. He will get no mysis for Christmas! The Yellow tang is such a hog, it is difficult getting food to the rest of the family.
Thanks for all your comments. :happyfish

jane nall

Another fish is missing and the belly of the jawfish is extended! Looks like the jawfish has eaten the chromis damsel. I doubt he will attempt eating the yellow tang or the yellow tail blue damsel, but the firefish is much smaller than the jawfish.

fender

Wow sounds like you got yourself a real hunter/kiiller there.
Am thinking your firefish is next on the menu.....:nervous:
I would consider what you want more and remove one before he gets hungry again.