Jawfish feeding.

doodle1800

Well I went and did what a lot of people do I think. I bought a fish without doing a lot of investigation, relied on the advice from the LFS guy, and put one too many fish in my tank.
So.. with that all said, has anyone had trouble with a Jawfish? Do they jump out of the tank? Do they eat frozen brine? Any other important things I should take in consideration?
He looks great btw. Dug his hole under a rock, sitting in there, comes out and looks around. Clowns are curious. So far so good.

S

sebae0

i lost 2 dusky jawfish to jumping, had them for 2 years and then all of sudden found one on the floor, another week later found the other one. generally they have their caves dug out and they stay in there but i don't know what caused them to jump. just my experience though, good luck with him.

jumpfrog

I have a yellow head pearly jawfish. Great fish with a lot of personality. Never ventures too far from his cave but will dart out to take most any food. Mine set his cave up close to the flow of a powerhead. When food hits the water stream from the ph it races in the direction of the fish. He darts up and snags it. Too funny to watch!
I keep all my tanks tightly covered so I never lost one to carpet surfing. I could see how they could though as they dart vertical like an F-15 on afterburner.
Good Luck!

doodle1800

I bought a cover for my tank - glass - but the plastic hinge blocks a lot of light. What do you use for a cover?

jumpfrog

Probably the same thing as you. My salt tanks are all-glass and I use their glass and vinyl covers. I guess the vinyl/plastic does block some light but I've never really worried about it. I like that the glass is easy to keep clean and relieves me of some of the worry of losing fish. Others like egg crate covers or no covers to improve O2 levels in the water. I'm hoping that my sump system or surface agitated water with pumps keep my levels ok.
Cheers

shels

I lost 2 Blue Spotted Jaw Fish to jumping. I even have egg cartan covering the tank except for a 2" area on each end. I have never replaced the jaws, I think something in my tank does not care for them and chases and causes them to jump. I have heard that Flame Hawkfish's will jump so I keep the covers on.
I really enjoyed the jaws while I had them, they are alot of fun to watch. As for feeding, like stated above they will dart out of their caves for food. They eat frozen and pellets.
Good Luck
Shel

bdubbya

I have a tiger jawfish. It is definately a jumper. Mine is a perminate resident of my refugium. I put him in the main three times, and the next day he would be back in the fuge, via my overflow. None the less a really cool fish. HTH.