Jawfish help please sick or prego?

Ok i have recently bought a MATED pair of jawfish, they are the (i hope its right) malesian jawfish not pearly. Any ways i can get eithier one to eat i tried my custom food and NOTHING !!!
here are other foods i have
krills
brine
mysis
cyclops
seaweed
garlic
and
fine invertabret food( probbaly not good for them)
smelts
also the male's recent behavior is coming out of its hiding spoting shaking BUT the female is not moving so much. When i recieved the pair the female was the most active now its slugish is this signs of eggs comin or should i be worried? If you would like pictures i will but remember that i CAN NOT get you the picture of their whole body only head sorry

thank you for your help and p.s i would like to now real shortly so i know whether to qt

im not sure if itz sick or not but u should deffinatelly quarantine it. in a few days if any symptoms of disease appear treat them.

nicetry

Describe the set-up you have for these fish. How deep is the substrate and are there lots of small rubble pieces/shells they can use for their den? I would not quarantine these fish just yet. Moving them after they've settled is often stressful. You might be seeing signs of spawning. When mine spawned, they would be very scarce for days. Try feeding some blood worms or frozen plankton. Pellets might also work. They are skittish to begin with and it takes them awhile to adjust. Be sure nothing is bothering them. What else is in the tank?

well the fish died i but i cant find its dead corpse......this is extremely odd because it was the one that was doing great........
my sandbed is 8 inches
fine substrate
loose rubble along with protection with other rock, galaxea coral over top that it came to love for extra protection

Ok now this is gettign wierd my other jawfish that was active and every where (the male) has gone missing also now i cant find the hiding spot of the male or female..........they just wont come out and i really do not want to tank the rock out of my tank to find it.
Edit- I found the second jawfish!!! its in the same burrow as the other one and they wont move or pop out is this a good sign or bad sign?

ok well the jawfish are in a burrow together eating but i dont see them other than that.............got any ideas nicetry?

deltablack22

You should just leave these guys alone... If they just settled into the tank they probably arent breeding. Make sure food gets near their hole, if they're hungry they will eat it. Sounds like you have a varied enough menu that they will eventually take something. Other than that all you can do is watch for signs of disease. Good luck...

nicetry

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
http:///forum/post/2634912
You should just leave these guys alone... If they just settled into the tank they probably arent breeding. Make sure food gets near their hole, if they're hungry they will eat it. Sounds like you have a varied enough menu that they will eventually take something. Other than that all you can do is watch for signs of disease. Good luck...

I agree with leaving them alone. Acclimation is different for every fish and the jaws might be simply too stressed to be very active. Keep lights low and avoid messing with the tank. Feed them regularly and just observe.

parmoffitt

I am glad that your jawfish are doing well. I bought a blue spotted jawfish that was doing great and had created three burrows. I admired his work and thought (even though I had eggcrate on the top of the tank)that everything would be o'k and the fish would be less likely to jump and I was prepared with the cover on the tank. This fish was my favorite fish.
I didn't like the light from the MH being reduced but was willing to put up with that because this fish was adorable.
In the early morning hours I found him flopping on top of the eggcrate. I was shocked. There were no holes in the eggcrate. I put him back in the tank and he recovered. Several weeks later (before the lights came on) the fish jumped through the eggcrate and was on the carpet and didn't survive. I was using standard eggcrate.
I love this fish and its antics and have decided to not buy this fish again.
I have learned that eggcrate doesn't prevent this fish from getting out.
Hope you don't experience what I did.