Jawfish is dying

fishmamma

I am so upset right now. I last fed the tank about 9 pm last night, turned out the lights and went to bed. Got up this morning to find my Jawfish laying under some zoanthids. He appeared dead so I went to remove him and he swam under some rock. I am currently testing my levels but all are WNL so far and all other fish and inverts appear normal. WHY??????

fishmamma

He is eating right now actually!!! YEAH! He must have been sleeping in my zoanthids? How strange is that?
He eats twice a day. I always feed frozen cyclopeeze once a day and then I alternate the 2nd feeding between more cyclopeeze, Sweetwater Zooplankton and frozen mysis shrimp.

fishychick

Nice ending. I added one to my tank about four weeks ago. I have never seen him since, but I have 150 lbs of live rock in a 144 gallon tank. I have seen some excavating though, so I am pretty sure he is eating where I can't see him. Is yours really shy?

fishmamma

He is shy but is frequwntly out since he is in a 20 gallon with a goby who has a similar personality to the Jaw. He will duck into his hole if I move suddenly or peer too closely but other wise he is always watching me. I hope you spot your soon, what other fish are in that tank?

fishychick

small to medium hippo tang, bar goby, two percula clowns, flame hawk, pink shrimp goby, mandarin, midas blenny, blue fang blenny, yellow watchman goby, coral band shrimp and blood shrimp, zoanthids, star polyp, shrooms, xenia, feather duster .. think that is about it. ONe more thing, the flame hawk has never been given live food, so he isn't too aggressive ---actually the clowns are the worst.
Any advice appreciated...

monalisa

Fishmamma,
You had me worried!! Your jawfish must have just felt all tucked in under the zoos. I would love to see a pic of him, if you have one.
Lisa :happyfish

fishmamma

Clowns can keep timid fish at bay for sure, they are such aggressive feeders. You have some great fish Fishychick! As for suggestions....hmm......the Jaw will switch between burrows frequently. I have read you can add some PVC piping into the sand bed to encourage burrowing for viewing but your tank may be a bit intimidating to the little guy and he may stay within the rock work. Do you think it is getting any food? Many have to spot feed jaws in larger tanks.
Lisa- I have pic but it is not a great one. That silly fish gave me heart failure this morning. Sleeping in the zoos was a new one here at my house. :scared:

fishmamma

Lisa- the Jaw is hard to photograph because he is so quick and is always bobing in and out of his spot. How is your new goby doing? Have you spotted him in the barnacles yet?

fishychick

Awesome flick and thanks for your advice. What is that fish above the jawfish?
There is a good chance he is getting food around the back because my shrimp rarely come out. In my old tank (45 gallon) they used to come out to feed all the time. The new tank has much better circulation and I see the food swing around the back with the flow. I think I will smooth over the area of sand that looks all disheveled. If it gets moved again, I can safely assume he is finding food. I would hate to disturb all the little homes back there that everybody else is happy with.

monalisa

Originally Posted by fishmamma
Lisa- the Jaw is hard to photograph because he is so quick and is always bobing in and out of his spot. How is your new goby doing? Have you spotted him in the barnacles yet?
Oh Yeah, Gary is constantly out and when he's in, he's in the barnacles. Unfortunately, since he set up housekeeping there, it's become Grand Central Station for the other fish as well, so Gary pretty much just burrows under the barnacles.
It's strange, the other fish wouldn't go near those things, much less go inside. The same day that Gary decided it looked pretty nice, I found Willie (royal gramma) and Sr. Mary frequently going in and out of it...hmmmmm :thinking:
Gary seems to be doing pretty good. I watch every day to make sure that he's eating, and that hasn't been a problem. He's a cutie patootie for sure.

fishmamma

Originally Posted by fishychick
Awesome flick and thanks for your advice. What is that fish above the jawfish?
There is a good chance he is getting food around the back because my shrimp rarely come out. In my old tank (45 gallon) they used to come out to feed all the time. The new tank has much better circulation and I see the food swing around the back with the flow. I think I will smooth over the area of sand that looks all disheveled. If it gets moved again, I can safely assume he is finding food. I would hate to disturb all the little homes back there that everybody else is happy with.
Sounds like he is active but elusive back there.
I don't blame you for not wanting to search, that often does more damage than good. The only other thing I thought of is to drop some small shells or rock rubble in the back where you see the sand piles. The jaw may start moving them around and that would help guide you to his whereabouts at any given moment, or at least his wellbeing. Have any pictures of your tank to post?? It sounds nice. :joy:

fishychick

Thanks fishmamma. It was my favorite gift ever. My husband bought it for me for my birthday.... Unfortunately all the rest of the necessary elements are about killing me. I haven't mastered the photography thing yet. I need to upscale my lighting too.
I have the 1/2 circle tank and the curved glass really distorts the views -- just another difficulty in mastering fish photography. Thanks for your advice. I will look for your comments.

fishmamma

Fishychick- I forgot to tell you about the other fish....he is a Yasha Hashe Goby. Very cool fish but was always getting beat up in the other tank.

fishychick

Fishmamma -- Very cool. I never heard of it. I don't even think I have seen one in my reference books. Personality is??????? obviously not too aggressive based on your comments.

fishmamma

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Oh Yeah, Gary is constantly out and when he's in, he's in the barnacles. Unfortunately, since he set up housekeeping there, it's become Grand Central Station for the other fish as well, so Gary pretty much just burrows under the barnacles.
It's strange, the other fish wouldn't go near those things, much less go inside. The same day that Gary decided it looked pretty nice, I found Willie (royal gramma) and Sr. Mary frequently going in and out of it...hmmmmm :thinking:
Gary seems to be doing pretty good. I watch every day to make sure that he's eating, and that hasn't been a problem. He's a cutie patootie for sure.

I am laughing out loud....fish are so funny. Once they somebody else is cool with a new space they all join in the fun. I have seen it happen in my tanks and it cracks ne up. Very happy to hear all is well.

fishmamma

Originally Posted by fishychick
Fishmamma -- Very cool. I never heard of it. I don't even think I have seen one in my reference books. Personality is??????? obviously not too aggressive based on your comments.
He is a harder to find goby but can be found on the net. The doctor's site sells them sometimes. I think I have a link to an article on them somewhere, let me see if I can find it for you....be back in a minute.

fishmamma

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Very cool looking fish, fishmamma!! You have 3 tanks now?
Yup, crazy huh? I am very happy with the third tank. I can finely keep the timid species happily in a tank together and everyone feels comfortable being out and about. Even my sexies cover the entire tank with out fear. What are you mulling over for the next tank...still planning on the bow front?