jawfish stay in his enclosed cave

coastie55g

ok i just purchased a really nice looking yellow jawfish and the dang thing has a cave under one of my big pieces of rock.. and has closed to the entrance.. and if i move the shells he put in his "door" the dang thing puts them back..this normal? im worried about him not eating..
any info would be great.. thanks guys/gals

promisetbg

That is pretty much where he will stay.You should use a turkey baster{for this purpose only} to make sure he gets some food near his cave.As he becomes secure,and as long as no other fish in your tank harrasses him,he should become more bold in time.He will always bolt into his "safe place" when he feels threatened.That is how jawfish are.Some stay completely in their cave,only showing their head at the entrance.

coastie55g

well if i open his hole to his cave, i can watch him close it back in.. maybe open the cave up and then put the brine shrimp into the water? maybe then he'll eat.. :thinking:

timo

These fish are known to construct burrows in sandy substrate, and until it is established will reside there. Literature also suggests this fish is a jumper, so keep a top on the tank.