jebo odyssea lighting

yerboy

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2276967
There really are 175 watt HQI lamps. That ballast will actually UNDERDRIVE 150 watt lamps according to the owner of a lighting business that has nothing to do with aquarium lighting so he would have no reason to lie. He posted specs on another reef board and explained how a 175 watt ballast could underdrive a lower wattage lamp. They have different running voltages.
the only real 175watt MH bulbs i have ever seen are the mongrel type. The HQI 175watt bulbs that i have seen are the $10 bulbs from the bay so take that for what its worth.

vexrsx05

ok so are these lights worth the money or what? I have an option of these for $359 brand new shipped or a 5 month old Current Orbit 530 watts for $300

yerboy

Originally Posted by vexrsx05
http:///forum/post/2493049
ok so are these lights worth the money or what? I have an option of these for $359 brand new shipped or a 5 month old Current Orbit 530 watts for $300
take the Current Orbit much less likely to burn your house down.

fidishund

I have a 72" Odyssea light I just got I love it sswitches for every light This thing ROCKS. You can get them at wwwSSAquatics.com hapj cotct dve ndhwil get ny odyssea product you want.

bmkj02

Originally Posted by Fidishund
http:///forum/post/3122689
You can get them at wwwSSAquatics.com hapj cotct dve ndhwil get ny odyssea product you want.
Huh???

Anyways, I have had mine for about 3 yrs now. Got the 260w CF one. Still kicking. What sucked was that it brings 2 fans and thats not enough. It gets hot and started messing up the wiring on the other side of the fan. When I touched the wired they were brittle and broke apart. Have to replace the wiring and then I installed 3 fans to the side of it blowing out. Since then its just replacing the bulbs every year or so. I ended up switching it over to my fresh water tank just a few weeks ago as I now got 2 400w MH with 4 65w HOT5's Actinics. Its a good unit but if I had the money I would of gotten something else. They are not UL approved and I didnt know that till after I bought it.

nathanm

I'm looking to get a cheap pc light for a planted freshwater tank. I think I want to get the 65w 24 inch light. Considering that the wattage isn't crazy high, should I still avoid this light?

b_clark711

First off, there are 175w double ended MH bulbs out there, and I believe the correct word you were searching for is MOGUL base, not Mongrel base, but that's ok, no biggie! I own the 36" 442w MH/PC combo fixture. I too had to go with this light as I have a 120 gallon bowfront custom tank, and the other MH lights were too wide and wouldn't fit the top of my tank. With that being said, I have owned my fixture for about 9 months and the fixture I received is UL listed/approved but that really didn't matter as much as the main fault with this fixture, and that's in the bulbs (obviously) and the ballasts! Before I placed the order for my fixture I ordered a Phoenix 14k lamp (which actually SAYS blue on the bulb, however I know it's the correct spectrum due to the fact that my coral have EXPLODED with growth) and an Ice Cap Ballast. I have had no problems (knock on wood) with this fixture whatsoever. The fixture I own only has 1 fan and I can lay my hand on the top of the fixture after it has been running all day, and it's a little warm, but not even close to being hot. In fact, I had the Orbit 4x96w PC fixture w/ 2 fans and that fixture ran hotter than my MH fixture. Stuff happens, no matter the maker, and these lights have gotten a bad rap. I do suggest replacing the bulb (whatever spectrum/color suits your setup) and ballast (I recommend Ice Cap).

olddesertrat

The mark of poor quality is that some work, and some don't. That is standard for cheap Chinese products.
Some people are happy, some cause fires.
Question is: Are you willing to risk your life and the lifes of everyone else in your home or apartment building because you want to save a few $?
I personally made that mistake and never again.
Have had two Odyssea hoods. Both 2x55 watt CF. Both of them failed within 6 months. On both of them the tiny fans failed within 2 months.
Just took my last one apart to see what problem was.
1. The plastic housing fans are in melted. Little hotter it it likely would have caught on fire.
2. The ballast was right next to lamps and had no ventilation. Top of ballast was half popped open. Opened it and resin inside had starting boiling before it failed. Clearly there was no safety thermal cut off switch. That would have cost an extra $1
3. When I pulled connector off lamps, the plastic insulation around the wires cracked and pieces dropped off, leaving exposed wire. Another sign of overheating, and cheap wiring that falls apart under heat.
4. The ballast was rated 130 watts. 2x55=110 watts. So ballast was running near maximum output all the time. Right next to lamps with no ventilation.
From now on it is only quality external ballasts for me.
My life is not worth the cost of cheap parts.

nkicks1

I have owned the odyssea 72 in 3 x 250 MH + CF's for over 4 years now with no issues. Do not regret the purchase at all.