Jellyfish are taking over the world, one power plant at a time...

btldreef

I just found this article from Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine interesting:

Jellyfish shut down 3 nuclear power-plants

By Leonard Ho - Posted Jul 08, 2011 12:00 PM
Jellyfish just might pose a greater security risk to nuclear power-plants than terrorists! In the span of three weeks, jellyfish have shut down three separate nuclear power stations: One in Japan, one in Scotland, and one in Israel.
On June 24, jellyfish were responsible for crippling a Japanese nuclear reactor by clogging the filters to the pipes that supply the power station with seawater for its critical cooling systems.
On June 30, an invasion of the jellyfish Aurelia aurita imitated the prior week's performance by obstructing the filters of Torness nuclear power station in Scotland. And unlike the partial power interruption of the Japanese incident, the Scottish jellyfish successfully forced the shut down of both reactors at the power station.
And just this week, Israel was forced to shut down one of its Hadera nuclear reactors because of jellyfish.
What in the world is going on?
No one really knows. Jellyfish have interrupted nuclear station operations in year's past, but three incidents in consecutive weeks is unprecedented. Jellyfish typically bloom during warmer months. However, bigger blooms have been sighted (albeit not scientifically quantified) during the past decade. Some scientists believe warming waters is responsible for the uptick of jellyfish populations. However, this year is one of the coolest years in recent history, so the surge of jellyfish populations this summer is perplexing. Scientists do not have enough data to assess global jellyfish populations, so they are unable to determine if the increase in jellyfish is a local or global phenomenon.
Is nature telling us something?
Is this all merely a string of bad luck?
Or perhaps a jellyfish conspiracy is afoot ...
-----
I really liked this one comment that someone left, makes you think how true the statement just might be:
"The most intriguing explanation I have come across blames our overfishing and general depletion of ocean life. This removes both predators and competition for jellies. They are literally growing like weeds in an abandoned parking lot.
Mike "

1guydude

They are shutting them down! Trying to tell the humans that we are polluting thier water! Do they have brains? I didnt think jellys had any organs? IDK but this is intresting...thxs for posting

1guydude

well ya i was just speakin un logically lol!!!! Asia specifically japan hunts whales and dolphins for cryin out loud! Cant stand it!

aquaknight

Agreed, probably nothing to do with warmer waters, more likely the loss of key predators, specifically Mola Mola

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/386559/jellyfish-are-taking-over-the-world-one-power-plant-at-a-time#post_3396171
They are shutting them down! Trying to tell the humans that we are polluting thier water! Do they have brains? I didnt think jellys had any organs? IDK but this is intresting...thxs for posting
Studies showed that jellies can "see" as they put a few in a tank with poles painted different colors and the jellies swam around some colors and swam into other colors. The poles were randomized for the study.
The big ones in japan expel their seed when slaughtered so each one that is killed makes hundreds more. Its too bad the babies look like palys on the ocean floor. They were cute.

darthtang aw

Studies showed that jellies can "see" as they put a few in a tank with poles painted different colors and the jellies swam around some colors and swam into other colors.  The poles were randomized for the study.

The big ones in japan expel their seed when slaughtered so each one that is killed makes hundreds more.  Its too bad the babies look like palys on the ocean floor.  They were cute.
So each jellyfish killed makes hundreds more? Then how would a lack of predators increase their population as each predatory action against them would just make hundreds more.
Darth (just throwing it out there) Tang.

rainbow grouper

i personally think this is natures way of telling humans anything can be overpowered no matter how much effort we put into I think it's time humans put an end to destroying the planet that gave us life

darthtang aw

i personally think this is natures way of telling humans anything can be overpowered no matter how much effort we put into I think it's time humans put an end to destroying the planet that gave us life
You honestly believe humans could destroy the planet?
Darth (smoke another) Tang

reefraff

I think it's because the plant designers didn't take into account the periodic blooms of jellyfish that occur on occasion and the likely hood that at some point a bloom would occur in an area where the currents would draw them into the plant's water intake system.
But it's just a theory....