Jerky Clown

kroch3rd

I got my first fish 2 days ago. Its a false percula clown and its wild. It seems to be very jerky. Its swims and then jerks its head or body to the side. is this normal? is it a sign of a disease? also, this morning i saw a 1 white dot on his back dorsal fin. but when i checked a few minutes ago it was gone. it doesn't seem to be scartching itself against things.
parameters
sp-1.024-1.025
ammonia-0
trite-0
trate-0-5 (alot closer to zero)
ph-8.3
its a 75g tank with 60 pds lr
any advice will help. thanks

nicetry

Clowns are awkward swimmers. They often exhibit the jerky movements you decsribe. It shouldn't be a cause for concern. Consider adding a second one (smaller than the one you have now). They are quite interesting in pairs.

briandg

My guess is it's fine, I got 2 clowns as my first fish. They've always acted like that, it's just their personality. If the dot is gone, it was probably just something stuck to the fish, just watch it closely, but I think your fine.

evieb

Its normal for clowns. I've had mine for over a year and they've always had what looks like "spasms." In fact I did a search in the forums here asking the same thing when I first noticed it. Nothing to worry about. :happyfish