Jester's upgraded 90 gallon tank

Jesterrace

It's still a work in progress as I have 50lbs of rock that is cycling. I had a Male Melanurus Wrasse die about a month ago (I think from ich) so I have effectively quarantined the two remaining fish, but thus far they seem to be doing fine. Here is a vid of me sharing the hobby with the family:

Jesterrace

Major lighting update. Got a pair of AI Hydra 26 HDs on a rail mount (the arms/clamps don't like rimmed tanks). I also added a Pajama Cardinalfish to "test the waters" as it were to see if I have any more disease issues.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It's been mentioned, but a black backing to the tank would make this very nice setup pop. Cheap to test out just to check to see if you like it with a few ft of backing paper from the LFS.

Sounds like you don't QT new fish?

Jesterrace

It's been mentioned, but a black backing to the tank would make this very nice setup pop. Cheap to test out just to check to see if you like it with a few ft of backing paper from the LFS.

Sounds like you don't QT new fish?
Not in the traditional sense. I used to not QT them at all, but after the male melanurus died I have adopted a pseudo QT method in which my LFS keeps them in one of their quarantine tanks (they do have some separate from the main holding tanks) for a few weeks and then I bring them home and put them in an acclimation box for a few days and then put them in. Not ideal, but then again neither is maintaining a QT tank.

incidentally here is my new goby:

Last edited:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Why does your lighting look bluish, compared to the topmost vids? I know you got new lights and the change seems to have occurred there.

Jesterrace

Switched to the AI Hydra 26 HDs and am running the default 18K setting on them. The previous lights were a cheap Mars Aqua full spectrum lightbar (but essentially only showed white and quite frankly I like the look of the Hydras better). Not a fan of white light in reef tanks as it is very good and showcasing flaws but not much else.

I managed to catch another vid of the fish at feeding time:

mr. limpid

QT is easy to maintain. For most small fish a 20 long will do. I keep the filter media what ever you chose sponge or bio balls in your sump. Leave your QT empty only set up prior to fish purchase, make up salt water, PH and temperature correct add media night before than add fish. After QT tear down and put media back in sump.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe add a bit more fake decor to the QT. Fish will be stressed in a virtually empty tank.