Job Description.....Happy????????

sweetdawn

i hate my job. my friend sitting here hates her job too. I manage a gnc she manages hot foods in a grocery store. i work 8 - 12 hours a day and my travel time is three hours a day so minamum of 11 hour days. employess quit without notice so you dont get to take a vacation cause you are constantly training people. customers get mad cause there are no miracle

[hr]
to lose weight and i am sick of being nice to people. ok i feel better now that i have vented

hattrick58

I'm pretty happy with what I do (aircraft mechanic). There certainly is a sense of pride when you see that sucker fly (and it has to fly well!) after a 300 hour phased inspection (we tear all the access panels off, inspect and perform op checks on all systems). There is a great deal of responsibility and pressure, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you why. The only thing I don't like is getting dirty and working in the Texas heat. I went to my daughters school several years ago and described to them what I do and the kids were really interested in it, asking plenty of intelligent questions Several of the guys suggested this is what they would like to do. I told them that was great, but if they really want a satisfying and rewarding career, stay in school, get their college degree and become a pilot. That is a job that rocks! I do, however, value all personal time I can get with my family. Raising my daughter is by far the most important job I have ever, or will ever have.

polarpooch

I studied sociology in school. Talk about a waste of time. I hated every job I ever had that had anything to do with what I studied. The pay sucked, and the jobs sucked worse. Graduate school was no more satisfying. In fact, it was even worse...and the pay still sucked and the jobs sucked worse.
Then I chanced into my current career (radio). Strictly by accident. I've been hooked for 11 years. I got disillusioned in early '03 and quit. That lasted 4 months. I called my old company and asked for my job back. They'd already filled my old gig...but offered me something even better. Of course, the pay still sucks...but I love my career. Couldn't give it up...unless I won the Powerball, that is.
And for 11 years I've lived and breathed this stuff, so I do agree that sometimes you ARE your job. I am.

tangman99

I like my job ok. I'm a software designer that works by contract. The money is real good, but you have to learn to live with no job security. Then again, over the last few years even being a W-2 employee offered no security.
My dream job was to be a man-whore, but I figured it would be hard to play tennis with a ping-pong paddle so I went to college instead.

dragracer

Well I bet I am one of the only people on this board who does what I do. And I THINK its a safe bet.
I am an iceman. Yes thats right. You know all the gas stations, quicky marts and beer distributors whit boxes full of ice for YOU the consumer to buy....well I am the mystery man that fills them up. We bag the ice with an elabortate million dollar system, we stack it on the skids, we load it on the truck and away I go. On the road all day filling ice boxes. and YES I love my job. And also, YES I have heard all the corny cheesy lines about how cool of a job it is and all that. I work 10-13 hours a day and could't be happier. I am 25 and am making more money now than I have ever made before and even though I work a pile of hours I still have a life.......My girl, my tank , my drums and of course my racecar. So there you have it. My name is Ryan...........so, how many other icemen do you know. I know they are out there!!

ryebread

Originally posted by TangMan99
My dream job was to be a man-whore, but I figured it would be hard to play tennis with a ping-pong paddle so I went to college instead.

Ding, Ding, Ding......quote of the day. :D

belothsurf

Originally posted by hattrick58
I tried the man-whore thing-business was kind of up & down....

Were the hours long and hard......?............what?

musclefish

I am a supervisor in a factor on 3rd shift. I work about 60 hours a week. I really do not enjoy my job, but I love my life. I have a wonderful wife and two great children. My wife and I are both competive bodybuilders, so alot of our time is dedicated to the gym. Any extra time I have I spend on my tank. I so don't look forward to going to work but I definilty look forward to going home everyday to be with the ones that I love and do that actuall things that make up me.

mkengr45

I do a few different things at the moment. I do some contract work for a company doing CFD models (computational fluid dynamics) and stress analysis for things they design. I drifted through college for a few years until I decided to do Mechanical Engineering. I finished my bachelors, and am now almost done with my masters in mechanical engineering. I also race 2 rear engine dragsters and 1 funny-car. My masters thesis deals with modeling the vehicle dynamics of one of my new dragsters. I occasionaly do consultant work for a major race car chassis company. I absolutely friggin love the work I do. I feel that if you enjoy or have a passion for the work you do, you will always be great at it. I sometimes cant believe how much I get paid for what I do because I would want to be doing it even if money was not involved. I sometimes do extra work on my own time and send it to the chassis company, they cant believe I send them stuff and dont bill them. I do it because I think it is kick a$$ and fun work. I race on the weekends, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but I always have a blast. ooooooh how I love the sweet smell of methanol alchohol.
Randy