Jobs...

yimmy

I'm 15 and a half and I'm trying to find a job. I want to get my pilots license and then turn that into an occupation but to get all your commercial and private pilots license its about 15grand. Maybe if theres pilots on here, how did you get yours?

yimmy

also...just a job a 15year old can get, the employees at my LFS get 20$ an hr when you start but you have to be 16

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by Yimmy
also...just a job a 15year old can get, the employees at my LFS get 20$ an hr when you start but you have to be 16
I really doubt your LFS starts employee's at $20/hr If any LFS pays that half the people from this board would move to your town.

yimmy

o...maybe they lied to me or something (not to uncommon of an LFS) Maybe I got confused and they said they make 20 an hour.

nano_nut

Heh most lfs employees around here are makeing the minimum or slightly above....
BTW if you wanna be a pilot, get a college degree and then join the Marines, Navy or the airforce and become an officer. Then you can fly fighter jets for 20 years, retire and become an airline pilot.

yimmy

The airforce wont work out because you still need your private license, which is what I'm trying to figure out how to pay for. I found something which is washing planes and you get 8$ an hour, I think I might do that because you can probably meet some people who are pilots and they probably have advice. Right now I'm house sitting a persons SW tank and there dog and bird and there giving me 25$ a day and there gone for 3 more weeks (5weeks total) and now I'm helping my mom at work so I'm slowly getting there

zman1

Before I turned 16 I used to pay for my pilot lessons, washing planes at the (grass field) airport. Once I got a drivers license and a regular after school job I lost interest.. Maybe it was the girlfriend too..

phixer

BTW if you wanna be a pilot, get a college degree and then join the Marines, Navy or the airforce and become an officer. Then you can fly fighter jets for 20 years, retire and become an airline pilot.
This is good advice, trust me.

oceanists

Originally Posted by Yimmy
o...maybe they lied to me or something*** (not to uncommon of an LFS)*** Maybe I got confused and they said they make 20 an hour.
LOL!!!
savvy! .... kids got a point

tangman99

Depends on what you want to do. One of my coworkers husband is an F-16 pilot in the Airforce Reserve in Homestead. For his regular job, he is a co-pilot forUnited airlines in a 727. He only makes about mid $40K flying co-pilot but he is paying his dues as a co-pilot on a smaller airliner.
My neighbor was a pilot in the Air force flying KC-135s. He came out and went directly to the larger airliners because of his experience flying large multi engine jets. He is currently the captain of a 767 flying trans atlantic flights and makes over 200K a year.

yimmy

My friends brother works with his uncle (Flys a Citation X) and once I get my hours and what not I will fly copilot with him for a year then the next year move up. I'm not saying anything bad about the war in Iraq or anything, but as soon as I join I'm over in Iraq.

phixer

There is a strong possiblity that you will end up in harms way, but thats what separates the men from the boys.

imurnamine

How neat! One of my best guy friends is in the Marines right now. He's going to work on planes and whatnot. That's what he has always wanted to do... Maybe you should try it!