Johnthefb--leather ?

clarkiiboi

Or anyone else who has done this.....
I was reading in another post about you cutting your toadstool, but didn't want to intrude on that other post with a few questions. After you cut it, did you attatch the top to a piece of rock? If so, which method did you use? and do I need to leave it in the water when doing this or not? Any other info appreciated. Thanks :)

justinx

Hey buddy . . . that was MY post. He cant answer you. Just kidding . . . . i am really curious about this as well because I plan to do it this weekend.
Justin

clarkiiboi

Yeah I know, I just figured you knew all the specifics since you didn't ask. I didn't want to intrude on your post to ask some specifics. Maybe you ask some specifics too and we can check each others posts lol. Good luck. :D

jonthefb

ok guys and gals heres what i did.......after amking the cut of course!
get a piece of PVC ready that is close to the same size as the diameter of the leather's stalk.. about 3 to 4 inches tall, with many holes drilled in it to allow circulation.....then get a nice rock that you want the leather to attatch to and set it under the PVC tube.... lastly set the newly cropped frag in the pvc sleeve and allow it to attatch to the rock on its own.....i prefer to do this naturally rather than using superglue, etc, because the wound will slime like crazy...make sure the leather is in an area with good water flow, and within a couple weeks, he should be fully attatched to teh rock!
you can also do this in a location that you want the new leather to grow from you jsut have to make sure you have some way of supporting the pvc sleeve if it is not directly upright!
good luck everyone!
jon

dburr

That a new way I haven't heard.
I just cut off the head, cut it like a pie and use rubber bands to attach them to small rocks. After a couple weeks take off the bands. Then you will have 4 or 6 or 8 frags depending on how many time you cut it.
Don't forget to trade them, if your tank goes belly up(hope that never happens) you can fall back on the frags you gave out to get one back.
;)
Good luck, Dan

clarkiiboi

I'm all in for different ways to attach. I just want to cut the stalk basically at the halfway point and not cut the actual head up. How tight do you make the rubberbands, meaning could too tight do damage? or should it be lose enough that it cant move, but will just take to the rock after some time? I think it may be a bit hard to rubberband it to a rock when I cut it at the stalk (the head I can picture), but open to suggestions. Thanks.

dburr

If you leave stalk attached to the head, yeah it may be hard to rubber it.
But, yeah, tight enough to hold it so it wont blow around. It wont damage it, they can take alittle abuse.

justinx

I think that you and I have the same purpose here. I think that I plan to leave the base where it is and attach the head to a new rock in the tank. Perhaps one that is more mobile so that I can trade it.
Justin

clarkiiboi

JustinX--I would love to just cut off at the head (much easier), but I cant see the rest of the base (stalk) getting itself straightened out with the extra stalk (weight) I left behind. So, I am going for a middle of the stalk cut, letting the attached (original) grow a new head (crossing fingers). And then attachting the other half to a new rock. Just for info---if I would cut at the head, and attach, I am assuming a new stalk will form over time? I am now debating both options. What seems to be the best to do? cut off near the head or cut down towards the middle of the stalk?

dburr

You could cut off the head then cut off as much stalk that you want. It will still grow a new head.
Hmmm, I wonder if the piece of stalk would grow to a new coral??????
Dan

I would think that the best option would be what Clarkii described. A cut in the middle would give both halves a better chance for survival. The old base would for a new head, granted this would take a significant amount of time to get back to the size of an original coral, but it would happen. Secondly, the old head would have enough of a stalk left to grow on and attach with. Go for the middle.

clarkiiboi

Thanks all for the suggestions, I think I am still going to go for the middle of the stalk cut and see what happens.
JustinX--make sure to keep us informed, it will be a few weeks till I can get mine done. Good luck :)