JoJo's 135g in wall tank

J

jojo727

i've just joined here and wanted to let everyone know a little about myself and my tank. first, my wife and i are big pitbull advocates(since we arent ready for kids these are our kids), we rescue and foster them while promoting RESPONSIBLE ownership.
our association at the city's x-mas parade.

me, my youngest, my wife, my brother and his little girl at the city's x-mas parade.

Since alot of our time and funds goes towards rescue efforts, i was aiming to make my reef time and wallet friendly...so far so good but there's still a long road ahead

J

jojo727

now to the main event, i started building this exactly a year ago but since we were remodeling most of the house at the same time it got put on the back burner alot so it took six months or so to get it looking complete.
i'm going to let the pictures tell the story for the most part and i'll fill in here and there. just let me know if i'm didnt inform yall enough.
my dad and I were able to take the wall down and rebuild in day one.

J

jojo727

this is what i started with: 135g with a blue acrylic background siliconed inside that continues into the overflowbox which had 3/4" bulkheads. it also had (3) 3/4" bulkheads in the bottom glass outside of the overflow.

i redrilled the 4 or the 5 holes in the bottom glass to fit 1 1/2" bulkheads

acrylic removed and painting the back glass black

J

jojo727

when i returned home from buying these fans one day

my power was out and i had guys tight roping in my back yard

and a full tank shot

J

jojo727

here are the pics of the electrical
the switch runs the outlet next to it which powers the pump that pushes water from the container below it to the sump. the outlet at the top has constant power.

the same thing with this set up, which the pump will push from the sump to an outside drain.

J

jojo727

majority of the rock was from my 90g that was tore down 2yrs before so the rock was dry and completely dead. i cycled it for 2 months in a Brute container to establish some life, only about 20% of the rock came from a LFS and was live

J

jojo727

the plumbing and closed loop pump

tank from a distance with my oldest boy and female Rottie

the base rock starting to color up and my LMB

J

jojo727

a quick vid, i hope it loads up

first corals, hairy mushroom and zoas

J

jojo727

the rock colored up pretty quick

green star polyp frag

another vid

J

jojo727

the zoas grown since i got them about 2 months ago

a leather frag given to me by a fellow reefer, i'll have to get an updated pic of it

i cut the gsp in half and put the other have on the opposite side of the tank, they have already grown back to the original size. if you look closely you can see the arm of a hitchhiker, its probably 3 of them in the tank

J

jojo727

actnic shot, this pic reminds me of the scene from Pirates of the Caribbean 1

here's another crappy vid. it shows the growth in the GSP and Zoas, also the newest additions just being added...hammer coral, xenia on a huge shell and a green stripe mushroom that keeps playing hide and seek. also the lovely cyano...yay!

mie

Love the progres of your build, looks great. Keep us updated,
Major props to educating ignorant people on on pits. Poor dogs get a bad name from stupid people, unfortunatly until people become more aware pits should not be allowed to be pets to most people.
Welcome to the boards.