JPC763 - 125g Reef Build Thread

jpc763

Well I figure it is time to start my build thread.
I currently have a 55g and recently decided to upgrade. Here is my thread for that one. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=281394
I found a tank and the rest they say is history!
This build will be a lot more extensive as I will be putting this tank in my basement. That involves some framing (not finishing, just framing), wiring (new 20A circuit), plumbing (work sink and RO/DI system) and then of course reefing!
So the statistics:
Tank is a 7 month 125g AGA Reef Ready tank. 6' x 18" x 24"
Sump is a 75g AGA tank
It has plumbing, but at this point I don't know what it is.
My first purchase (even before paying for the tank
) is a protein skimmer
I bought a Vertex In 250

I will post pictures of the corner of the basement where the tank is going tonight!
John

grubsnaek

nice i too have a 125DT, off to a good start.
good thing about that skimmer is that it is decently over rated for the tank. i recently got a MSX 200. so again, good choice on the skimmer. dont really know how they perform but good luck with the build

jpc763

So here is where the new tank is going. I need to frame this area in. I am not going to sheet rock it, just frame.

Here is the rough in that I plan on building into a utility sink with my RO/DI system.

I am going to take this slot on the panel for a dedicated 20 AMP circuit for the tank with 2 GFCI outlets. One on each end of the tank, 3' off the floor.

jpc763

Well my new skimmer came in today!
No tank yet, but I have a skimmer!

Here it is with a 2L bottle of water. It is one big skimmer!

I also got some new pendants for my MH lights. Nothing fancy but...

And last but not least, my stand plan that I am building.

jpc763

Well I got some good work done over the weekend! First I had to frame in 16' of my basement wall.

Then I ran 2 15 Amp circuits to it with GFCI outlets.

Here is a closer shot of one of the GFCI's live and Green!

jpc763

Then I started in on my new stand. Here is the basic frame and material list

Here is the image of the finished system

And finally, here is my frame bottom scr*wed, glued and clamped!

This week I hope to get the frame built and skinned.
That is all for now!

jpc763

Well I made progress since my last post.
I have made great progress on the stand. Here it is today, ready for skinning!

I also made progress on my utility sink. Here it is COMPLETE!

And on the actual tank front, I got the 125, 75g sump and 200# of Live Rock on Sunday! I was only able to clean the sump and get the LR into it to minimize the die off. Here are some pics!

Finally, I got to fire my new skimmer up in the LR tank! Here is about 30 minutes worth of production!!!

Next steps is to do the skinning on the stand, stain and varnish it, clean the tank and finally put the tank on the stand and plumb it! Man this is a lot of work!

jpc763

Originally Posted by chadg
http:///forum/post/2921367
Look great and a lot of work! What software did you use to create the stand designs?
Believe it or not, I used Excel to lay out the front. The 3D colorful pic I got off of another forum as well as the actual stand design. The thread on that other popular forum has 30+ pages of people using the basic design to create beautiful stands!
Thanks for the comments!
John