jst a couple questions.

vandy12069

i have a 75 gallon tank with built in overflow. im wondering if anyone would know how mnay gph they are rated for? i think the tank is a aga tank. im going to have a sump rated for a 125 gallon tank but i want to know if you think a 1000 gph pump will be to much for my overflow? if thats too much of a pump u guys can help me out with what size to get. im just going to have a the return with a couple powerheads in the tank, no closed loop or nothing. thanks

I just installed my first sump and overflow about a month ago on my 75 gallon. I think the rate of flow depends on what size pipe is installed within your overflow. I'm not sure on what size pipe corresponds to what rate of flow, but I'm sure you could research it.
Safely, I would say your overflow might be around 800 gph or so (give or take), unless your overflow has a dual system. 1000 gph pump might be too big, but I'm just guessing. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

jdl

Originally Posted by vandy12069
http:///forum/post/2999158
i have a 75 gallon tank with built in overflow. im wondering if anyone would know how mnay gph they are rated for? i think the tank is a aga tank. im going to have a sump rated for a 125 gallon tank but i want to know if you think a 1000 gph pump will be to much for my overflow? if thats too much of a pump u guys can help me out with what size to get. im just going to have a the return with a couple powerheads in the tank, no closed loop or nothing. thanks

i would get a mag7 or a mag9.5 for a 75. If it is too much you can use a ball valve or T off the return to go right back into the sump. Goodluck.

vandy12069

the drain is 1" pipe with a built in overflow not a hang on. a sump rated for 125 gallons. just dont know what size pump to use. i want good flow but i dont want to much for the overflow