Just a few quick questions

richieexd

Hey, I'm relatively new to this forum and I've been reading around for a bit and I must say I learned a lot!While I was reading I realized I did several things wrong.
1)One of them is I purchased a hydrometer (the cheap plastic one) and I read about their unreliability. I'm going to invest in a refractometer but I haven't got a clue about which company is good and what not. Some suggestions please!
2)I'm currently running a 20g FOWLR tank. My LS consists of : 2 Domino Damsels, 2 Red honey Damsels, 1 4 Striped Damsels, 2 Red hermits, 1 Blue hermit and 1 Sally Light Foot crab. Did I overdo it? How is my clean up crew? (Is it sufficient for a 20g)
3) I plan on upgrading to a 55 gallon within 2-3 months. Would that mean I would have to start a new cycle? Even if it means I will be using the same external canister filter that I'm using for my 20g. My 20g will be turned into the new QT tank, I plan to purchase a hang on filter. (Are those any good? I only plan on keeping a maximum of 2 fishes in the QT at any time with one piece of LR and some crushed coral) If I do purchase a new hang on filter would that also mean I have to redo the cycle for my QT tank?
Thanks for taking your time and reading it, all suggestions and comments help!

jeffreyyy

Hello Richiee,
As you can see I'm new to this site also but I feel that I can help answer question #3. I do not yet feel comfortable to help on questions 1 and 2.
Yes, you will need to cycle your new tank just like you did with your tank that you have now. Using the same filter may speed up the cycle but in no means will it cycle your new tank. I think HO filters are okay but if you could do a wet/dry or fugium that would be best.
On your QT you say that you plan on having no more then two fish in there at a time with LR and CC. It's best to QT one fish at a time for three weeks that way when they're ready to go into your display tank the bio load will not be greatly effected. Its also recommended to NOT use CC in your QT or DT as it traps all kinds of stuff like detris etc. Most people will paint the bottom of the tank black or use a black cloth on the stand and not use any substraite at all.
Hope this helps a little,
Jeff
Oh yeah...WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

spanko

Originally Posted by Richieexd
http:///forum/post/2548868
Hey, I'm relatively new to this forum and I've been reading around for a bit and I must say I learned a lot!While I was reading I realized I did several things wrong.
1)One of them is I purchased a hydrometer (the cheap plastic one) and I read about their unreliability. I'm going to invest in a refractometer but I haven't got a clue about which company is good and what not. Some suggestions please!You are going to spend 40-50 dollars. Make sure it has temperature compensation.
2)I'm currently running a 20g FOWLR tank. My LS consists of : 2 Domino Damsels, 2 Red honey Damsels, 1 4 Striped Damsels, 2 Red hermits, 1 Blue hermit and 1 Sally Light Foot crab. Did I overdo it? Yes a little depending on the size of the fish and your filtration. How is my clean up crew? You need to get 4 or 5 snails in there. A Nassarius, a couple of Ceriths and a couple of Trocus or Nerite(Is it sufficient for a 20g)
3) I plan on upgrading to a 55 gallon within 2-3 months. Would that mean I would have to start a new cycle? Even if it means I will be using the same external canister filter that I'm using for my 20g. Yes you will need to cycle again. With the larger tank the is a need for a larger biofiltration bacteria colonyMy 20g will be turned into the new QT tank, I plan to purchase a hang on filter. (Are those any good?This should be fine I only plan on keeping a maximum of 2 fishes in the QT at any time with one piece of LR and some crushed coral) Be aware that if you have to use any chemical in the QT because of a problem like parasites you will render the rock dead. Better to us a bare bottom tank with a few pcs. of PVC tubing for the fish to hide in.If I do purchase a new hang on filter would that also mean I have to redo the cycle for my QT tank?If you put a sponge, like the ones used on filters, in your display tank for a few weeks if will colonize with bacteria and your QT will not have a cycle but you will still need to monitor ammonia and Nitrite so that you control it with water changes when needed. This is a normal function when using a QT
Thanks for taking your time and reading it, all suggestions and comments help!
These are my opinions and let's see what others have to say.
Welcome to reefkeeping and to SWF.com

richieexd

Oh, I forgot to mention I have 3 margarita snails in it, I'll probably add 2 more turbos. My filtration system is a external canister with a built in UV light, (1400L/hr pump rate) and a Seaclone Protein Skimmer. None of my damsels are over 1" right now, however the honey red damsel are duking it out... I expect a casualty within the month