Just a little help...

water_wako

I have an old aquarium that measures:
24 L x about 12 W x 16.5 H.
I does not have any equipment with it. I was thinking I should start up a nano tank using it. But I do not know if it is a good size or what equipment I should look at. Maybe I should look at a Biocube like thing instead. Could someone please just send me in the right direction. Thank You.

fish2

that is a 20gal. i would use that. just get some decent lights,like t5 or mh. a filter and a couple powerheads, a heater, salt , testing equpment.

lando101

Well I personaly would get the biocube 29, it comes with everything but the skimmer, which is like 30 dollars!! Decent lighting to, but with the expensive cost of everything, mined you this is coming from a 14 year old, I would just go with what you already have, it may turn out to be more expensive though because good skimmers cost money, well except the biocube skimmer, I love it!! Hope this helps and best of luck!!

Landen

marquis115

I just set up a 20 gallon for my mom. Its not that expensive. I bought a bigger skimmer in case she wanted to up grade but besides that it only cost about 200 dollars to get it set up and running. This includes lights, skimmer, powerhead, salt, water, liverock and livesand. Go with what you got.

water_wako

If I decided to go with metal halides, would I need to supplement the metal halide with a blue spectrum bulb? Would I also need to have the LED moon lights? By the way what is more efficient, Metal halide or T-5 fixtures?

atrialfib22

I run a 20g H and IMO the T5's would work out fine...you can keep almost anything (exception for certain anemones and clams) and avoid the high heating issues that you may encounter with a smaller tank and metal halides. In addition, they tend to be more affordable and energy efficient. I would definitely get LED moonlights...gives it a nice effect and lessens the stress levels for fish (and promotes spawning if that's an option).
There is a certain level of satisfaction from building your tank piece by piece if you so choose to.
A HOB filter, skimmer and a couple of poweheads would be the first place to start when you think about equipment...a decent T5 light and a reliable heater. If you want...just check out some of the 20g tank diaries around here and you can get a great idea of what you would want. Feel free to ask away! Good luck!

water_wako

Thanks for all the help. I am unsure of how much water circulation I should have and what some good power heads are?

atrialfib22

Hydor Koralia, MaxiJet, AquaClear, Rio...those are all popular brands. My personal preference lies among the first two.

water_wako

I have researched some lighting fixtures. But is it worth it to pay the extra money for the others.
The first one is the cheapest.
T-5 4x24W which is about $280. It needs to be hung and needs a glass top. So it would end up being about $300. No moonlighting.
The second.
MH 1x175W 10000K or 14000K for about $300. It also needs to be hung. No actinic bulbs or moonlights. It is 3" short in length compared to my aquarium.
The last.
T-5 4x24W+2 or 3 moon lights for about $350. It sits on legs and has a integrated timer.
Which is the best to buy?

flricordia

IMO by the time you buy all the eqipment you will need for it you may as well by an all in one. I do not think you wouldn't be too happy with the 20gl for long either. The thing about nanos is that there is not much room and we always want to get alot into them. With one of the all in one tnaks they are designed for nano use, in other words, they are cubed and able to allow better placement of rock and corals whereas a 20gl rectangular yo will not have much room from front to back.
There are many all in ones available now and moast all have lighting already. Cads and Finnex, Aquapod, and a few others even have MH lighting. Do some online searching before you start spending bucks and look at all your options. This way you will not have bought an expensive lighting system only to find the tank will not work and be stuk trying to sell it for less than you paid.
Research will save you a ton of cash, believe me, and about anyone else here that has flushed money down the toilet becasue we did not research first.
my spelling scuks.

Imo the jbj nano 28g is one of the best out at the moment,
Which comes with the following.
* (1) 150W HQI/14K
* (4) Nite-Vu LEDs with Separate Power cord
* (2) UL-Listed Accela Powerheads (266gph each/16W each)
* (2) Directional flow nozzles on each side of the aquarium
* (1) Ocean Pulse Duo—Alternating WaveMaker
* (1)Protein Skimmer (counter current) with Air Pump
* (1) Integrated center overflow
* (1) Newly redesigned filtration system with designated heater column and protein skimmer column with constant water levels
* (4) Integrated cooling fans (3000rpm`s)
* (1) Flame retardant ABS canopy housing
* (1) Integrated thermal protector for canopy (auto shut off protection)
* (1) Removal filter media basket with handle and sliding door for easy access
* (1) Filter media—sponge, activated carbon, ceramic rings