Just Added A Tang To A 38 Gal

T

touchthesky00

an update:
he just had 2 fatalities this week:
one being the hippo
got a text saying that the hippo got sucked into the powerhead and was stuck their, then he got the fish un stuck. the hippo then went into hiding and died soon after

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by touchthesky00
http:///forum/post/2571631
an update:
he just had 2 fatalities this week:
one being the hippo
got a text saying that the hippo got sucked into the powerhead and was stuck their, then he got the fish un stuck. the hippo then went into hiding and died soon after
Sorry to hear that. What kind of a PH? Normally fish are strong enough to wiggle their way from the PH's. It's almost sounding like the Hippo was already sick and weak.

T

tizzo

touchthesky there is another more important issue at hand for your friend. That is to try and make him understand that most fish store people are not hobbiests they are salesmen. Forget trying to make him believe you over the "professional" but rather try to make him understand that those people are not professionals.
I use the analogy often and I will use it here. Its like going to lowe's and asking the guy who stocks the wood to tell you how to build a house. Just cause he can tell you where it is in his store and maybe even can get it for you doesn't mean he has the first clue as to what to do with it.

puffer32

As another poster stated, the fish was probably too weak to fight the suction of the PH. In my hubby store, this happens alot when the fish he gets in are dieing. A healthy fish will be strong enough to fight a PH's current. A sick one cannot. I see alot of posts about fish getting stuck on PH's, and the owners actually think their current is to strong, but its usually because their fish are to weak.

cracker4418

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2571697
I use the analogy often and I will use it here. Its like going to lowe's and asking the guy who stocks the wood to tell you how to build a house. Just cause he can tell you where it is in his store and maybe even can get it for you doesn't mean he has the first clue as to what to do with it.
That's so true. When you talk to the sales person that's who you are taking to, a sales person. On this site we don't make money for giving advice. We get the satisfaction of helping another hobbyist enjoy and succeed in this wonderful hobby.

thommyboy121

well....that hippo had nothing wrong with it......it was sleeping in lr and slipped out.....it drifted towards the filter.....and it did get away after a second (took time to wake up)...but it got a scratch on its side.....and it went into shock and died.......

thommyboy121

and also....the salesperson i talked to was about 55 years old...had the store as a family business after 3 generations....and i told him i wasn't going to buy anything..i just asked him if it was okay and told him i wasn't planning on keeping the tang for more than 8 months...I was going to sell it back......

kellenr

Although there are ideal theoretical tank sizes for each fish based on the size fish get, animals have a remarkable way to 'limit' their growth based upon environment and habitat space availability. I've seen 4-5yr old tangs that are huge and ones that are relatively small. And ironically the small ones were kept in smaller tanks, larger in large.
Your friend can add whatever fish he wants, it'll either work out well for him or he'll have problems, whichever.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by thommyboy121
http:///forum/post/2667799
well....that hippo had nothing wrong with it......it was sleeping in lr and slipped out.....it drifted towards the filter.....and it did get away after a second (took time to wake up)...but it got a scratch on its side.....and it went into shock and died.......
Had nothing wrong with it... it went into shock and died.
Yeah, that happens all the time.

I agree, as usual, with spidey.

m0nk

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2669024
Had nothing wrong with it... it went into shock and died.
Yeah, that happens all the time.

I agree, as usual, with spidey.

Right on, only fish with compromised immune systems (possibly from stress?) would die from "shock".

As for this being a troll thread or something along those lines, I am certainly surprised that the thread came back from the "dead"...

1journeyman

Small Tangs in small tanks are more an issue of nutrient deprivation than any special ability to remain small. A small tang in an ill-suited environment is proof of stunted growth.
Tommyboy, your fish are not dying from getting sucked into the powerhead. They are dying from something else. If they are too weak to avoid a powerhead something has weakened them. Fish don't fall asleep and drift into a powerhead. If they slept like that think about how many would die in the wild from drifting onto the shore...

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2669066
Small Tangs in small tanks are more an issue of nutrient deprivation than any special ability to remain small. A small tang in an ill-suited environment is proof of stunted growth.
Tommyboy, your fish are not dying from getting sucked into the powerhead. They are dying from something else. If they are too weak to avoid a powerhead something has weakened them. Fish don't fall asleep and drift into a powerhead. If they slept like that think about how many would die in the wild from drifting onto the shore...

my hippo sleeps on the bottom and stays there with no effort. the fish was obviously sick before it got stuck on the power head...

T

touchthesky00

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2669112
This thread is like poison ivy. It's better left unscratched...
-Justin
sorry for "scratching" this again. i just wanted to defend my name. i did start this thread in the best interest of my friend. and after a while of convincing, he got a username (thommyboy121).
i am not a troll and had no intention of this being a troll thread