Just added fish

nathanp0515

Hey, who remembers me?
Ten gallon that has been up for about 3 months with nothing but crushed coral, whisper power filter with bio foam, and ro water from the gallon jugs at the store. (and a piece of shrimp that's still in there.)
Today I had ***** test my water and it was right. I bought 2 4 striped damsels, a fake coral, and flake food.
Sound ok?
How exactly do you do a water change? Do you fill a container up with the water and add the salt and pour it in? How much salt do you add, until it is the same salinity of your tank?
Nathan

liz50138

First piece of advice - always always always buy the biggest tank you can afford. You won't be able to add any more fish than what you have so far. Rule of thumb is 3-5 gallons of water per fish. Here's what you need to do for a water change (posted by squid)
- Aerating the water while mixing does a couple of things that are beneficial for your tank and aid in a proper balance of elements in the finished water.
First of all you are starting with "dead" or unoxygenated water...Water form a well or in the pipes of a city system is generally not exposed to air (contamination reasons) so it comes from the faucet (or through your RO/DI) with a relatively low DOC (dissolved oxygen content).
Dissolved oxygen is what the fish "breath" and aerating it for a good period of time adds this "breathable' oxygen back.
Secondly when mixing salt to water you should aerate the water for a period of time BEFORE adding the salt.
There are actually two points here...If you have ever looked at the threads on alkalinity and calcium you've seen how they need to stay within a specific balance of each other or they combine into other forms and precipitate out...one gets too high (saturated) and effects the other...
By adding the salt to the water you are mixing at diluted levels and bringing them up to the specific gravity level they will remain in suspension...
If you were to start with the salt and add water to it you would have a super saturated mix that would react to itself and some parts would precipitate out as calcium carbonate.
The second point is related to the first in that specific carbon dioxide and oxygen levels are needed (not present in un-aerated water) to keep the calcium and alk/buffers in suspension.
This is why "NEW" salt water is considered "chemically unstable" and should be mixed AND aerated for 24 hrs. prior to adding to your tank... In order for all "balances" to come in line and any precipatate to "fall out" in your mixing bucket and not your tank.
It does make a difference and your fish (and corals) will thank you for it.
As for how much salt, it should say on the package of salt. Instant ocean is 1/3 cup per gallon i think. DON'T use table salt. I'm serious, it's been asked before.
Also, you will need some way of heating the water that goes into your tank. By setting a bucket in the bathtub filled with hot water should do the trick. When the temp is between 78-80, you can add the salt. Also check the salinity before adding it to your tank. The Salinity should be around 1.023 plus or minus one.
Also, you did not mention whether or not you had a heater for your tank. Some people need one and others don't. You can buy a thermometer that either floats in the water or sticks to the outside of the tank.
You will need to change about 20-30 % of the water/month. This is a heated debate. Do a search and you can find lots of different theories. Try one and see which one works best for you.
You need test kits. The more the better, but definately need Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH. Ammonia nd Nitrite should always be 0, nitrate no more than 40 (otherwise you need to do a water change) and pH at about 8-8.3 T
This sounds like a lot of stuff, but that's just how this hobby is. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. That's what this board is for.

karajay

You should aerate your water for a day or so before adding salt. Then add the salt (read the salt container for the amount per gal.)
Then aerate for another day or so, so that it fully dissolves and mixes. Then test it. It should closely match what's in your tank. If not you can always add more fresh water or more salt. You should only need to change about 1 gal (or less) at a time. For my 20g, I mix 4-5 gallons at a time, use half, and keep the rest in a covered bucket with a heater and a powerhead until the next week. :)
And by the way, cute fish. They should hold up nicely. Just don't get any more.

S

slofish

Originally posted by Liz50138
Rule of thumb is 3-5 gallons of water per fish.

I havent heard this one yet.
A good rule of thumb would be 1 inch of fish per 8 gals when you start up. Bout a month or two later, about 1 inch of fish per 4 gals. and when you tank is established. about 4-6 months in, no more than 1 inch of fish per 2 gals of water. Of course, depending on your experience, you would be able to work outside of these #'s.
Do not rate your tank by how many fish. One 10 inch fish will not work with 3-5 gals.
As for your 10 gal, your probably close to your limit already.

liz50138

Sorry, I meant one inch of fish per 3-5 gallons, and only as a rule of thumb, of course it can vary on which fish (a tang will not do well in a 20 gal) the other inhabitants, ect.
Thanks for correcting me, must of been typing two fast.