Just added Southdown

ksujason

I started my 75 gallon on saturday, and put in a 4 inch DSB.After adding water, it instantly clouded to 0 visibility. It has been 3 days now and it is up too maybe 2 inches visibility. I have been running my pumps. Do I need to keep doing the same or do I need to do a water change?Thanks

wetone

I just added a refugium in a 30 gal sump with 4 inches of southdown to start the DSB. It too was zero visibility. I ran an Eheim canister filter filled with floss in the refug and it cleared in 24 hrs, but the floss was filled with the fine sand powder. Can you get some floss into your overflow to catch this powder?? this may speed up the clearing process.
I think a water chage would be a waste of salt...you will disturb the sand when adding new water and it will be cloudy too..
Good luck

azonic

ksujason, I just filled my 40 gallon, 4" sand bed, since last night it's begun settling already. I suggest turning off all pumps and filters. Don't have the water moving at all. The sand won't settle if it's being blown around the tank.

m1rodrig

You don't need to do a water change, the water is fine,You just added it.Give it some time and it will settle.You need to be patient eventually it will settle,I know it is hard to wait.Wait for it to clear then put in your lr.Throw in a couple of pieces of shrimp and watch your cycle before introducing your fish.

ksujason

Thanks all. Will it settle to the point where I can see too put in the LR? A guy told me too run the pumps while it cleared, but now im thinking maybee I should just shut everything off.

azonic

I've added my live rock already even though it's cloudy, I didnt want to leave it out of the water for 3 days. I just laid it all around the bottom while it was completely cloudy, now this morning you can see the rock a bit in th bottom, it's getting covered in sand as it settles...when i move a rock to get the sand off it, it stirs it up again, HRM!!!!!!!!